Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Out of State Investing

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Nguyen
Votes |
Should I cancel Court Date

Joseph Nguyen
Posted Jul 7 2024, 18:05

Hello All!

I'm trying to figure out how to go about a situation and would appreciate any input!

A little background: I am new LL/a travel medical worker investing out of state. Currently house hacking (rent by the room) in my primary home (1st property) in Texas while working out of state. I just recently evicted a tenant for nonpayment./illegal activities on premises. Went through the process (Notice to vacate, filing, etc). The tenant has left as of 6/13/24 and I've turned over the room for the next person. However, he still has some items (TV, bags) in the garage. I've been calling/texting him since 6/24/24 to get the remaining items out (he said he would get them by end of month, but hasn't yet and is ignoring me now). 

The court date is set for 7/16/24 at 10am (a work day) and according to the JP, I can cancel up to 2 days prior to court date. My question is: Do I keep the court date and try to get someone to represent me or should I just go ahead and cancel anyways since he has technically left? Dod I need to attend the court date to remove his items or is there a specific time period (with or without court attendance) to where I can remove?

Thank in advance for any and all advice! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied Jul 7 2024, 18:13

I'd go through with the court date to get permission to remove his belongings and get it in writing how long you have to store them.  Look up your local laws as they will have that information.  Also find out how to file a judgement for outstanding rent-you'll likely never see the money, but if you can get it attached to his credit score, that would be good.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Nguyen
Votes |
Replied Jul 9 2024, 06:06

Thank you for the insight!

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Investor Focused Lender. Claim $550 Credit today. Instant PreQual letters, Rapid Refinances, 13k+ 4.85 Star Reviews & $550 lender credit available now