Out of State Investing

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Morgan
Votes |
first time rental property. advice?

Brandon Morgan
Posted Jun 13 2024, 05:28

hi all. I just bought my first investment property near Scranton. it was a pretty good deal compared to the prices I normally see in jersey. I bought a duplex, move in condition, Newley renovated. This is my first time investing in real estate and being a land lord. I live 2 hours away from the property. Anything I should keep in mind for managing a rental property out of state? any tips or advice is welcome and if anyone has any info on the Scranton area that would be great too. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jun 13 2024, 05:39

@Brandon Morgan, most municipalities in this area have a rental ordinance that requires a local property manager. So, keep in mind that depending on how they enforce that you may need someone local when you have your units registered and inspected with the municipality. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Morgan
Votes |
Replied Jun 13 2024, 06:06
Quote from @Kevin Sobilo:

@Brandon Morgan, most municipalities in this area have a rental ordinance that requires a local property manager. So, keep in mind that depending on how they enforce that you may need someone local when you have your units registered and inspected with the municipality. 

hmmm okay will keep that in mind. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Marriggi
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • West Roxbury MA, Scranton area
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • West Roxbury MA, Scranton area
Replied Jun 13 2024, 07:29
Congrats on the new job.
Some things to keep in mind is to have systems in place : maintenance,bookkeeping,management, filling vacancies etc.
Know your SWOT  (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats)

The city requires a property manager if the owner lives more than 20 miles from the property.

User Stats

Votes
Mackaylee Beach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jun 13 2024, 08:21

Congratulations on your investment!

I highly recommend staying well-informed about tenant/owner laws. Remember to post necessary notices promptly and keep thorough records of all transactions.