Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Out of State Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Luka Jozic
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Experience of OOS investing in Cleveland after 1.5 years.

Luka Jozic
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Jun 12 2024, 07:59

Hi everyone, I started investing in Cleveland about a year and a half ago and have acquired 6 LTRs (SFH and MFH) using mainly the BRRRR method in C areas. I've done fairly big renovations where in most cases, Im replacing almost everything in/on the house. First year has been tons of learning and despite all the research and preparation I did, I still did mistakes and learned things the hard way. I went with one of the biggest PMs that everybody vouched for, yet it took them forever to even place a tenant, and once they did, the tenants never paid on time. Additionally, despite the houses being newly renovated, every month there were new expenses and something breaking, almost as if they want me to not cashflow. The PM said they don't up-charge, but most repairs and expenses were ridiculously high. The result of this? No cashflow, in fact Im in the negative for almost every property so far, and yes I do put aside money for vacancies, capex, and repairs. I finally switched PMs recently and the new one seems much better but Im still getting pretty frequent repairs though much cheaper than the previous PM. The problem is that in this market, getting $2-300 a month cashflow is about as good as it gets, and one furnace, one turnover or whatever and that takes out the cashflow for that year, or even puts you in the negative.

Lets just say the experience hasn't been great, yet. Im trying to stay hopeful that it will turn around but I just keep receiving blow after blow. Just recently got hit with a 10K sewer line repair. I know, its my fault I didn't inspect the sewer line but in my defense, having such inspection contingencies makes it nearly impossible to find a viable BRRRR deal, as there are several investors lined up ready to pay more, in cash, and no contingencies. Im now starting to doubt wether or not Cleveland is actually a good market to invest in? Majority of the houses are old and require frequent repairs in addition to a poor tenant base that can't pay on time and don't care about their credit. On paper it looks good, but the reality is a different story. Im wondering if other markets might be better, with somewhat newer houses and higher quality tenants? But the thing with those markets are you'd be happy to break even, so even if repairs are less and tenant quality is better, I feel like it would end up being the same result.

For those of you that invest in Cleveland, do you have similar experiences? If not, what do you think you might be doing differently to make it work better?

Loading replies...