Why pay for insurance?

Why pay for insurance?

Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I've been dealing with insurance companies and am convinced this is the biggest scam in the world. Every year the premiums go up and if you have the audacity to ever make a claim, they raise your rates and try to pay you far less than the actual damages. I just learned from my bank that they dont require full replacement value and as long as the insured amount covers the loan, they are okay with it.

So here is my plan: Tell me if I am crazy.

1. I am dropping my coverage to the value of what I paid for the home or a little more. That satisfies the bank and covers me if the house burns to the ground.

2. I currently have a portfolio of 8 homes and plan to get up to 25-30 by the end of this year. Once the homes are paid off (plan is to do it in 7-10 years) I would carry only liability insurance. The way I figure is this: I am paying at least $600 per home per year. If I have 20 homes thats 12K per year in insurance. Each home average buying price is $50K. So in 4-5 years of premiums, I could buy a home. Now I figure the chances of 1 home burning to the ground every 5 years is really small. Why wouldnt I just self insure and put the $12K aside in a reserve fund for 5 years and then forget about it? I would just pay for all repairs out of pocket and still come out far ahead.

Am I nuts or does this actually make sense? I know math is approximate and I will still pay for liability so cost is not zero but still..

3Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Insurance Agent · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 88 votes
12y

I'm an insurance guy, and I actually don't think you're crazy. Insurance is a financial tool, which I believed should be used intelligently like any other financial tool. If you have the financial strength to act as your own insurance company, you can save money, just as you can save money by acting as your own bank.

In my opinion, self-insuring requires a significant amount of liquidity. It's not as simple as looking at premiums through the narrow lens of an unwanted expense (although I agree it's tempting!) because there are real-world issues to consider.

For example, the liability insurance that comes with a property policy is cheap, but you won't find those rates without a property policy. If you buy a liability policy without property coverage, you'll realistically cut your savings in half.

Also, reducing the valuation of your property has to be done carefully. Replacement cost policies carry a coinsurance clause (normally 90%), meaning that the property has to be insured for at least 90% of the cost to replace it. If it's insured for less, even a partial claim will be reduced. (If you insure for 50% and a claim is adjusted at $10,000, you'll get $5,000.)

And because partial claims are far more common (and realistically routine with a large portfolio) I would encourage you to dig a little deeper into the numbers and look at what a smaller claim ($20,000 for the sake of argument) will do to your cash flow. Can your business model absorb that on a regular basis?

Rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I would encourage you and other investors to arm yourself with the knowledge that will enable you to use the insurance tool well. Find an agent who counsels as well as sells and who isn't afraid to sift through exposures so that you can pick and choose the risks to retain. Read a couple of books (like "From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves") so you can understand the machinations of the industry and be prepared to deal with them when you have to.

I notice that much of the distaste for insurance companies comes from the unfortunate fact that many of them do minimize claims payouts. There are two strategies for dealing with this. One is to research the claims service of the companies that supply quotes and to work with one that has a reputation for settling well. Another is to make friends with the best public adjuster in your area.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Insurance companies would not be in business if they didn't take much more in then they pay out. Ever ask yourself why there are so many insurance company commercials all the time, that costs a pretty penny?I have payed thousands and thousands in insurance, and have not received a cent in return. Its a government scam, like extended warranties.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    How much are you paying for insurance premiums. For my 4 houses I pay a total of $3,700 a year for property worth over $580,000 (combined). There is no way that 4-5 years of premiums would allow me to save enough to buy another house.

    While insurance companies are a "for profit" institute and they bring in more than they pay out. They are also one of the leading "institution" investors in real estate. So they make alot of money from investing in other capital sources!

    Once house is worth $125,000 and I pay $1,200 a year. It would take me 104 years of premiums to buy a new house! Personally I would not recommend getting rid of insurance. I do recommend shopping around and making sure you have the best product at the lowest price!

  • Insurance Agent · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 88 votes
    12y

    I'm an insurance guy, and I actually don't think you're crazy. Insurance is a financial tool, which I believed should be used intelligently like any other financial tool. If you have the financial strength to act as your own insurance company, you can save money, just as you can save money by acting as your own bank.

    In my opinion, self-insuring requires a significant amount of liquidity. It's not as simple as looking at premiums through the narrow lens of an unwanted expense (although I agree it's tempting!) because there are real-world issues to consider.

    For example, the liability insurance that comes with a property policy is cheap, but you won't find those rates without a property policy. If you buy a liability policy without property coverage, you'll realistically cut your savings in half.

    Also, reducing the valuation of your property has to be done carefully. Replacement cost policies carry a coinsurance clause (normally 90%), meaning that the property has to be insured for at least 90% of the cost to replace it. If it's insured for less, even a partial claim will be reduced. (If you insure for 50% and a claim is adjusted at $10,000, you'll get $5,000.)

    And because partial claims are far more common (and realistically routine with a large portfolio) I would encourage you to dig a little deeper into the numbers and look at what a smaller claim ($20,000 for the sake of argument) will do to your cash flow. Can your business model absorb that on a regular basis?

    Rather than throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I would encourage you and other investors to arm yourself with the knowledge that will enable you to use the insurance tool well. Find an agent who counsels as well as sells and who isn't afraid to sift through exposures so that you can pick and choose the risks to retain. Read a couple of books (like "From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves") so you can understand the machinations of the industry and be prepared to deal with them when you have to.

    I notice that much of the distaste for insurance companies comes from the unfortunate fact that many of them do minimize claims payouts. There are two strategies for dealing with this. One is to research the claims service of the companies that supply quotes and to work with one that has a reputation for settling well. Another is to make friends with the best public adjuster in your area.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Residential has had an 80% co-insurance clause for years, mine is, company specific, so check your policy before you self insure.

    Another point, what your loan officer tells you may change when it gets to servicing and hits the insurance department bunch who deal with coverage. They are aware of co-insurance clauses and so are compliance types as well as examiners. I suggest you bump coverage a tad higher as hitting the coverage at the co-insurance limit will put you under in time as replacement or repair costs increase to the time of a loss. Then review that coverage carefully each year. :)

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @Elizabeth Colegrove You really have to have a larger number of properties before self insuring makes sense. I pay on average $600-$800 per year for each property that I bought for around $50K. So I pay like 1-1.5% of the purchase price each year. You are also paying like about 1% per year for your house. The key is, how many houses do you need before your cost far exceeds the risk? Insurance companies work on the same model. Collect premiums from everyone and pay out very few claims. I think that around 20 homes I could diversify the risk enough. Maybe the correct number is 30. I dont know but at some point you are better off self insuring. Even accounting for minor damage etc, a reserve fund equal to the insurance premiums will always keep me ahead. Of course, I still have to pay for liability so cost is not zero.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed - I completely agree with the reasoning. Self-insuring, assuming you have the reserves becomes more advantageous as you own more property.

    If you have 20-30 properties and own them outright (i.e. no property insurance requirement from lender) then insuring them yourself may very well make sense.

    The main downside I see to self-insuring is that you're susceptible to catastrophic claims. Just about every part of the country experiences freak accidents (hurricanes, mudslides, tornadoes, hail storms, etc.). While it's unlikely that you'll suffer a complete loss on a high portion of your properties, do you want to be left holding the bag if a wild-fire or mudslide wipes out 10 of your 30 properties?

    My approach thus far has been to go for the highest deductible possible. Not only do the banks not complain about this (at least not yet), but your premiums are greatly reduced. If you aren't already doing so, check out what annual premiums would look like with a $5K deductible or see if the ins. co. would do an even higher deductible than that.

    As a side note, I'm a practicing actuary in the health insurance field and worked for a P&C insurer in college. I can absolutely confirm that self-insuring is a good idea if you have a large, diverse portfolio so that risk is spread around. If you own 30 properties within a 10 mile radius, you're looking at a very focused risk that is susceptible to high volatility.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    1. Make sure that you carry liability insurance, which covers human injuries on your property. The claim could be much higher than the value of the building.

    2. You might want to keep building insurance and raise your deductible, to figure you are comfortable with.

    3. The value of the building is not necessarily what you paid, but also what it would cost to rebuild incase of damage.

  • Investor · Singapore · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @David Krulac

    1. Of course. I understand the need for liability.

    2. Yes, but at some point thats the same as self insured while still giving money away!

    3. Yes but why should I care? I am really not going to erect a new building anyway. If I get my investment back plus years of rent collections, I am happy to sell the land for whatever I can get and walk away!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    for #3 I understand if its a total loss, but what if its a partial loss and happens sooner rather than later. And there can be code compliance upgrades that are needed also.

    I do understand your desire to reduce expenses, and also to protect your down side at the same time.

    I know some people that are forgoing flood insurance for the same reason.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Eric Belgau:
    ...

    I notice that much of the distaste for insurance companies comes from the unfortunate fact that many of them do minimize claims payouts. There are two strategies for dealing with this. One is to research the claims service of the companies that supply quotes and to work with one that has a reputation for settling well. Another is to make friends with the best public adjuster in your area.

    Better yet, have your friendly public adjuster tell you the insurers that cover claims better. And also have your friendly public adjuster tell you ratings of the insurance company to get a measure of that company's health. And while you're going at this matter with your friendly public adjuster, make sure you get recommendations from the public adjuster for the endorsements that are appropriate for you so that you are covered for the sort if claims you might expect you would be making.

    So make friends with a public adjuster now :)

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2009 · 114 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    If you are thinking about self insuring your first move should be to increase your deductibles which will also lower your rates. The old way of thinking is a $500 or $1000 deductible but many companies offer higher options like $10,000 or $50,000. That way you self insure for the smaller claims and the insurance company pays out if its catastrophic. Just an idea.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Self insuring is an option as long as you carry sizeable cash reserves, but banks will have none of that (nor will private lenders generally speaking). There is also a risk of something catastrophic happening to the entire area (think Joplin or New Orleans) that could ruin your whole business.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 409 posts · 105 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Am I nuts or does this actually make sense? I know math is approximate and I will still pay for liability so cost is not zero but still..

    I don't have hazard insurance on most of the houses I own free and clear. I talked about this in a thread from about three months ago. My logic is simple, half the money I pay the insurance company goes to claims, the other half goes to everything else (sales, overhead, profit, etc...). I don't pay the premiums, I pay the claims out of my own pocket, I profit to the tune of 50% of the claims that would have been paid.

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2012 · 121 posts · 26 votes
    11y

    I am really upset at what insurance is costing me on my latest rental property. All my other properties are from $850 to 1,000 per year. This last property is $2,300 per year. My insurance guys are telling me its because the property is over 30 years old. I was built in 1973. This is going to kill my cash flow. What can I do to lower my premium?

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Ronnie Sparrow

    The fact of the matter is, no agent has access to all of the insurance carriers that might fit your current portfolio.  Even the largest agencies might only have 75% of the possible options, with smaller ones only getting to 10%.  So, you are probably only getting options from a portion of the market place.

    First, If you want to stay with the same carrier, you could do the obvious thing and get a higher deductible, or argue down the insured value.

    Secondly,  you could go out to market with another agent on just this one location that is over 30 years old.  This will probably be your best bet to get a lower premium without taking on more risk.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winslow, ME · Member since 2008 · 826 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    I know one "low income" landlord that has made so much money for so many years from his properties, that being insured isn't even intelligent. He had one burn down a few years ago. No problem. Owned it for 30 years, paid like 10K per unit back then, and has made 20-25% per year on his money. When you make that kind of return over that many years, the "hit" you take from "losing 100% of your principal" in a fire barely budges your return! And even then it's not really 100% loss...he can probably sell the lot for what he bought the whole property for 30 years ago. 

    So there are scenarios where it makes sense. You can also "partially self insure" by virtue of higher deductibles. I pay 15K per year for my 48 unit / 11 building portfolio through state farm. I have 5K per property deductibles. State farm has no coinsurance penalty which allows me to insure for 80% of replacement cost vs. 90 or 100. 

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Don't self-insure your liability, whatever you do.  For a while I kept a liability policy and kept very low named peril building coverage with a 5k deductible.  Make sure you aren't paying for contents coverage if you don't own them.  Also, make sure your tenants carry insurance.  That will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Ronnie Sparrow   only 30 years old and they are telling you its the age, that is crazy.  I would try another insurer. If anyone knows an insurer that likes really old houses I could use them. They are telling me at 200 plus years it is the age of the property making it costly.  

    Age, location, construction, who you rent to... previous claims are all reasons they say your rate will be higher. I once had an insurer tell me the reason for my rate had to do with claim history.  The history was that someone hit another house I owned and I am a risk because of that? Higher deductibles help but the biggest issue I think is the less competition for  your property, the higher the cost. To a certain extent I suppose it makes sense to "self insure" but you need to be disciplined enough to set aside at least the reserve to clear the lot if you are not going to rebuild. Not sure I would do it though.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.