Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Insurance
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Palmer
Votes |
Umbrella Policy $3 million to $6 million in coverage

Michael Palmer
Posted Jul 14 2024, 07:20

I currently have a $2 million umbrella policy and would like to get a policy that will cover me in the $3 million to $6 million range. I would like to know if anyone could recommend an insurance company along with a person I can contact to receive a quote.

Thank you,

Mike

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jul 14 2024, 09:42

Michael,

The three options I see to increase your coverage are as follows:

1.  Current Carrier:   First check to see if the current umbrella can be inceased.  If not and you have different carriers for you home and auto insurance, see if the other carrier can do an Umbrella for you.  You could also shop all your coverage to see who will write the policies with a $5mm umbrella.

2. Stand-alone Umbrella:  There are several companies that will write an umbrella policy without having to write any of the underlying coverage (home, auto, ...).  Some of these will go up to $5mm limits.

3. Excess Liability:  There are non-standard (excess/surplus lines) options to cover after the current $2mm umbrella is exausted.  This would be the most expensive and complicated option and I would not recommend it unless the other options are not possible

If you have any questions on the above or would like to know what carriers we use in NY please PM me.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Jul 15 2024, 06:33
Quote from @Michael Palmer:

I currently have a $2 million umbrella policy and would like to get a policy that will cover me in the $3 million to $6 million range. I would like to know if anyone could recommend an insurance company along with a person I can contact to receive a quote.

Thank you,

Mike

Connect with @John Mocker  He is in your area and can help.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.