Recommendations and Advice on Landlord Insurance

Recommendations and Advice on Landlord Insurance

Member since 2020 · 17 posts · 6 votes

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

I'm a new landlord and want to ensure that I have the right insurance coverage for my rental property. I've read about the importance of landlord insurance in protecting against potential risks, but I'm unsure about the specifics of what I need and which providers are best.

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations on the following:

1. **Essential Coverage**: What are the key components of a comprehensive landlord insurance policy? Are there specific types of coverage that are must-haves for landlords?

2. **Recommended Providers**: Which insurance companies offer the best landlord insurance policies in terms of coverage, customer service, and pricing? Any personal experiences with providers would be helpful.

3. **Cost Considerations**: What should I expect in terms of cost for a typical landlord insurance policy? Are there ways to reduce premiums without compromising on coverage?

4. **Differences from Homeowner's Insurance**: How does landlord insurance differ from standard homeowner's insurance? Are there specific aspects that are unique to rental properties?

5. **Claims Process**: What has been your experience with filing claims under landlord insurance? Are there providers known for handling claims efficiently and fairly?

6. **Additional Tips**: Any other advice or insights related to landlord insurance that I should keep in mind as I shop for the best policy?

I want to make sure that I am adequately protected against potential liabilities and unforeseen events, so any guidance from experienced landlords would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

0Reply
369 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Hi,

    Regarding your questions:

    #1) I highly recommend you consult with a licensed insurance professional in your area, especially one experienced with landlord-specific insurance. Liability will be a huge factor, but there are other considerations that a licensed agent can discuss with you.


    #2) You can, and should always, vet the financial stability of any insurance carrier on A.M. Best's website. Anything less than an "A-" rating should probably be avoided. If they have a "NR" or non-rated rating, also avoid. Pricing is important but should not be the deciding factor. Keep in mind the old adage "you get what you pay for." Customer Service? Here's a quick test... call the company yourself, see how long they take to answer the phone and how they answer the phone. It will speak volumes. 

    #3) See Above

    #4) Again, consult with a professional but some of the obvious differences that come to mind would be the needed coverage for your contents (personal/business property) as well as the liability differences. 

    #5) We cannot speak to the claims questions. Fortunately we have not yet had to deal with that.

    #6) Here's an excellent, objective resource that may help further: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/06151...


    We hope this helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.