What type of insurance do I need as a landlord?

What type of insurance do I need as a landlord?

Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi all,

Our new build will be finished in Cape Coral in a few months and I'm shopping for insurance quotes. Can you help and clarify what type of insurance I should have? Is it both liability and property coverage? Is it the same as umbrella insurance? thank you!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 424 posts · 145 votes
2y
Quote from @Yana Rishkovoy:

Hi all,

Our new build will be finished in Cape Coral in a few months and I'm shopping for insurance quotes. Can you help and clarify what type of insurance I should have? Is it both liability and property coverage? Is it the same as umbrella insurance? thank you!

 Talk to an experienced broker. Kris [at] andersonagency [dot] group ((812) 887-0443‬) is great and who we use for all of our policies.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2021 · 424 posts · 145 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yana Rishkovoy:

    Hi all,

    Our new build will be finished in Cape Coral in a few months and I'm shopping for insurance quotes. Can you help and clarify what type of insurance I should have? Is it both liability and property coverage? Is it the same as umbrella insurance? thank you!

     Talk to an experienced broker. Kris [at] andersonagency [dot] group ((812) 887-0443‬) is great and who we use for all of our policies.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Yana,

    I'm guessing that this is a 1-4 family.   For that type of property the usual coverage is a Dwelling Fire Policy.  Sometimes, a commercial policy (businessowners or package) is used but generally that is more expensive.  Based on the Insurance Market in FL now, you may want to check on both options.

    Those policies are designed to provide Property and Liability coverage together.  The umbrella policy is a different type of policy.  It was designed to provide additional Liability coverage if the underlying policy's limits are exhausted in a claim. 

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    @John Mocker appreciate the advise. Will look into Dwelling Fire Policy

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yana Rishkovoy:

    Hi all,

    Our new build will be finished in Cape Coral in a few months and I'm shopping for insurance quotes. Can you help and clarify what type of insurance I should have? Is it both liability and property coverage? Is it the same as umbrella insurance? thank you!


     You should have a layer of insurance. HOI and a general liability policy. Also, require the tenants to have renters insurance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.