Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Faisal Zaman
Votes |
anyone knows good layer/s to consult about HOA coverage for Townhome fire damage?

Faisal Zaman
Posted May 6 2024, 18:37

Recently one of my property got fire. It's a townhome under HOA. After talking to my insurance adjustor, he advised to get details on HOA coverage b/c to remediate damage we need to go all the way to studs. I know based on the Illinois Condo Act, HOA should cover the wall, insulation and electrical.

I am trying to find someone who I can consult about the HOA coverage for Townhome fire damage.. Any help would be appreciated..

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 7 2024, 06:21
Quote from @Faisal Zaman:

Recently one of my property got fire. It's a townhome under HOA. After talking to my insurance adjustor, he advised to get details on HOA coverage b/c to remediate damage we need to go all the way to studs. I know based on the Illinois Condo Act, HOA should cover the wall, insulation and electrical.

I am trying to find someone who I can consult about the HOA coverage for Townhome fire damage.. Any help would be appreciated..

Have you notified the board of the association? That is the first thing you should do and then ask them and the property manager for the insurance and to get them involved. I do not believe you need an attorney on this, just communication.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Valle
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ottawa, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ottawa, IL
Replied May 8 2024, 04:53

Insurance claims are never fun and with being in an HOA certainly makes it a bit more complicated. But, there are some things you can do: First, review your associations Covenants or governing documents. That likely will specify what exactly the association is responsible for versus individual owners. It likely will also specify what insurance coverage the association must carry. Next, I suggest you ask you association's Board or Manager for a copy of the association's insurance policy. With those documents in hand, you likely have all the information needed to share with your insurer, to identify who would pay for each part of the necessary repairs on your claim.

Hope that helps!  

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Faisal Zaman
Votes |
Replied May 8 2024, 10:04

Thanks team for getting back to me on this.. We have consulted with the HOA manager for insurance coverage and reviewing the policy. Their deductible $100K, it's ridiculous amount for a townhome.. Anyway, working with our insurance now to see what we can do..

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied May 8 2024, 10:14

A lot of condos/townhouses will have large deductibles because they are insuring for large rebuilds.  I think my condos have $40-50K for deductibles per unit in the event of major damage (ie rebuild).  Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Faisal Zaman
Votes |
Replied May 9 2024, 19:03

Thanks @Theresa Harris for sharing your thought on this, appreciate it. After this one, we will bump up our landlord coverage in the policies :)