• Wisconsin
Votes |
Insurance recommendations for rental properties

Neil Fernandes
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wisconsin
Posted Apr 20 2024, 18:20

Who do you guys use for insurance for rental properties? I have reached out to state farm and they gave me a really good price but I am now worried I am not being protected 🤣 I had an insurance broker but having a hard time getting quotes now. In all fairness, I did ask for a lot of quotes but did not close on properties since they were not cash flowing.

1 Can some one let me know what should one be looking for in an insurance?
2 Is the landlord insurance the same as home owners insurance?

Thanks in advance. 

Lastly is there a post I can reference when getting insurance quotes?

User Stats

Votes
Owen Rosen#5 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Replied Apr 21 2024, 19:49

What is giving you concern about the coverage/protection?

Do you have any existing insurance to compare it to or you've just been getting quotes on properties that you are considering purchasing?

Hard to answer what to look for without even knowing what you're trying to insure - there are a lot of types of rental properties.

Landlord and homeowners insurance is not the same though the types of coverage are similar.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Fernandes
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wisconsin
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wisconsin
Replied Apr 21 2024, 20:16
Quote from @Owen Rosen:

Do you have any existing insurance to compare it to or you've just been getting quotes on properties that you are considering purchasing?

Hard to answer what to look for without even knowing what you're trying to insure - there are a lot of types of rental properties.

Landlord and homeowners insurance is not the same though the types of coverage are similar.

I understand your point. I have attached quotes from two individuals for the same property. However, I am not entirely sure what criteria I should be looking for. I noticed that one individual is taking a higher replacement cost compared to the other. The property is under contract for approximately $155k, and the quotes are for a long-term rental duplex. My concern is that American Modern has a lot more terms compared to State Farm. So, does it mean that American Modern is better, or is it just smoke and mirrors? Thank you once again for any advice you can provide.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Keego Harbor, MI
Replied Apr 22 2024, 06:53
Quote from @Neil Fernandes:
Quote from @Owen Rosen:

I understand your point. I have attached quotes from two individuals for the same property. However, I am not entirely sure what criteria I should be looking for. I noticed that one individual is taking a higher replacement cost compared to the other. The property is under contract for approximately $155k, and the quotes are for a long-term rental duplex. My concern is that American Modern has a lot more terms compared to State Farm. So, does it mean that American Modern is better, or is it just smoke and mirrors? Thank you once again for any advice you can provide.

An agent gave you each of those quotes.  Have you asked them?  They should be explaining their work and differences.  Ask questions, see who you think you're more comfortable with. 

We don't know anything about your property, you, your business, your risks, what you care about, etc.  Those things are crucial when developing a coverage plan.

A few general points:

1. Replacement cost has nothing to do with the price of the property.  How many square feet is it?  Do you want full replacement cost if you had a total loss - would you rebuild in that case or walk away?  You won't get the replacement cost if you plan to walk away.  

More importantly, do you want a partial loss to be covered to full replacement cost?

2. The State Farm quote has a higher deductible.  It certainly wouldn't make up a 50% premium difference but it's not a fair comparison in that regard.  Did the agents discuss deductible with you?

3. There should not be a $100,000 discrepancy in the dwelling coverage (based on a replacement cost estimate.). That's too much of a spread for a property of this size.  Someone is "wrong."

To one of your original questions just because American Modern has more line items it doesn't make it better.