How do you wholesale?

How do you wholesale?

Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes

This might seem like a ridiculous question but I’m trying to wrap my head around how wholesaling works.

I know you have to find a property and there are several ways of finding properties. I understand that.

Let’s say I find a property and want to wholesale it.

What prevents someone from just making the deal without you and not paying you your wholesale fee?

Can someone unpack the process of an example of a wholesale deal?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Tim Woosley:

This might seem like a ridiculous question but I’m trying to wrap my head around how wholesaling works.

I know you have to find a property and there are several ways of finding properties. I understand that.

Let’s say I find a property and want to wholesale it.

What prevents someone from just making the deal without you and not paying you your wholesale fee?

Can someone unpack the process of an example of a wholesale deal?

Wholesaling as it's taught is a myth. You need a license to Broker real estate. That's all wholesaling is as it's taught in these programs, it's brokering real estate except instead of being up front & telling the distressed seller that you'll sell their property for X amount & take X amount as your commission / fee you are taught to lie to the seller & pretend you are going to buy the property while you secretly attempt to "assign" your contract.

It doesn't work. Nobody has any respect for wholesalers. Whenever a wholesaler contacts me I simply get the information about the property & reach out to the owner myself cutting the wholesaler out of the deal entirely. If you do business above board as a licensed agent that won't happen to you. The only people making money wholesaling are the guys selling you all of that education.

To be successful connecting buyers and sellers you need to have

  • An in depth knowledge of the market.
  • Marketing skills.
  • Sales skills.
  • Negotiation skills.
  • Accurately estimate rehab costs.
  • Understand how to much time it would cost to run a renovation on the properties you are presenting.

My advice get a real estate license. Way cheaper, no legal issues, more respect and there is a decent chunk of cheap or free training out there from the mega brokerages. Soak it all in while you're trying to get off the ground. It's not an easy job, 90% fail rate but it's better than the 99.9% "wholesaler" fail rate.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Tim Woosley look around here there is a ton of information on Wholesaling. I believe there is a free wholesaling guide but I can't find it now.

    Basically you get a property under contract to buy or under an option to buy.  You can now sell that contract. The basics are that simple. The devil is in the details - and there are many. Those details include how to do it both legally and ethically.

    Regarding your specific question. If you have a property under contract, you are protected from someone else "Interfering" with that contract. Also the owner is legally obligated to you and cannot sell to anyone else while your contract is valid. 

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Tim Woosley,

    You're going to get way better information about how to wholesale by seeking it out rather than asking for it.  Wholesaling is a big topic.  How it works... How to find sellers... How to find buyers... How the contracts work...  What is legal, and what isn't... and on and on and on.  No one is going to give it justice in a message board post.

    Read books.  I found "If you can't wholesale after this... I've got nothing for you," which I give a solid B+.  There are other books, of course.  Podcasts.  YouTube videos (though I haven't watched many), and of course, you can pay for training.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    You have to make sure your contract is assignable.  If it is, then create a seperate addendum stating that your assigning your rights to XYZ contract to (Buyer) at the new price of $XX,XXX for an assignment fee of $XXX,XXX,XXX which is paid at the purchase of the house in said contract

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Tim Woosley and yes, the seller is legally bound to sell you the house unless you don't fulfill your end of the contract.  But the contract must be assignable

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Ned Carey Thanks for your reply!

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Barry Pekin Thanks for your reply and the book recommendation. I’ll pick it up!

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ablan Thanks for unpacking it for me. Even this answers helps me wrap my head around the big picture and process.

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    6y

    @Michael Ablan,

    I love how your assignment fee has sooooo many more digits!  :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tim Woosley:

    This might seem like a ridiculous question but I’m trying to wrap my head around how wholesaling works.

    I know you have to find a property and there are several ways of finding properties. I understand that.

    Let’s say I find a property and want to wholesale it.

    What prevents someone from just making the deal without you and not paying you your wholesale fee?

    Can someone unpack the process of an example of a wholesale deal?

    Wholesaling as it's taught is a myth. You need a license to Broker real estate. That's all wholesaling is as it's taught in these programs, it's brokering real estate except instead of being up front & telling the distressed seller that you'll sell their property for X amount & take X amount as your commission / fee you are taught to lie to the seller & pretend you are going to buy the property while you secretly attempt to "assign" your contract.

    It doesn't work. Nobody has any respect for wholesalers. Whenever a wholesaler contacts me I simply get the information about the property & reach out to the owner myself cutting the wholesaler out of the deal entirely. If you do business above board as a licensed agent that won't happen to you. The only people making money wholesaling are the guys selling you all of that education.

    To be successful connecting buyers and sellers you need to have

    • An in depth knowledge of the market.
    • Marketing skills.
    • Sales skills.
    • Negotiation skills.
    • Accurately estimate rehab costs.
    • Understand how to much time it would cost to run a renovation on the properties you are presenting.

    My advice get a real estate license. Way cheaper, no legal issues, more respect and there is a decent chunk of cheap or free training out there from the mega brokerages. Soak it all in while you're trying to get off the ground. It's not an easy job, 90% fail rate but it's better than the 99.9% "wholesaler" fail rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2013 · 368 posts · 191 votes
    6y

    @Tim Woosley here you go simple enough How To Wholesale Video

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @James Wise Thank you for your response! I appreciate your advice and will look deeper into getting a real estate license.

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Marcus Maloney Thank you for the link to the video. I look forward to watching it this week to get a better understanding of your perspective.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.