NJ Wholesale Scenario

NJ Wholesale Scenario

Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 1 vote

Hello folks,

I'm a brand new wholesaler. I've already flipped properties and made decent profit so I'm not a complete real estate newbie but I'm also definitely not a pro. I have recently got a few calls from my direct mail campaign from preforeclosures and was wondering what is the best way to go about wholesaling them in New Jersey. I have a seller who is willing to sell the house that I was going to buy at a wholesale price with cash and potentially repair it for myself or resell it to another investor. Problem is when I want to the house to see it, there was an insane amount of repairs. The house is in terrible condition, and the contractor I brought told me it would be around $90k in repairs for a house that's most likely going to sell for $180k tops. We are willing to pay off all the mans debts which is around $55k and give him a couple thousand to move, but we wouldn't be able to fix it up ourselves due to the repair amount, and the location being so far away. What would be the best option? If we were to find another investor to buy the property, how would we ensure we get paid for our marketing efforts as well. The property is going to be on sheriff sale on Sept. 16th.

What real estate contract should we use so we are protected from buyers going straight to the owner? I've been adviced against an assignment contract and to always do a double closing. 

Any advice would be of great help.

0Reply
17 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    If there's not enough meat on the bone for you to buy and rehab yourself, how is there enough meat on the bone for someone else?

  • Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kraft:

    If there's not enough meat on the bone for you to buy and rehab yourself, how is there enough meat on the bone for someone else?

    It's not that there isn't enough meat in the bones for us, it's that there is a huge repair that we aren't willing to spend. There is definitely still profit margin there for a buyer if they are willing to invest the money. He's going to sell it to us for around 60k the repairs are around 90k, and the ARV is 180k, and those are relatively conservative numbers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    With closing costs factored in and financing, I see a loss, sorry.

  • Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kraft:

    With closing costs factored in and financing, I see a loss, sorry.

    I see, okay thanks for your input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    7y
  • Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kraft:

     Wow, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the hard numbers. Is there anyway you can send me that excel template? I want to use it to run other deals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2012 · 28 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Sure, pm me your email

  • Mays Landing, NJ · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Kraft:

    Also, do you recommend any decent real estate lawyers? I saw that your in NJ as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.