Need some help understanding the wholsale process

Need some help understanding the wholsale process

Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes

First off thanks for your time! Basically Im looking for help and suggestions, please fill in the gaps where needed and please add anything if you can.

Heres what I have gained so far.

Find a property, locate owner of potential property, tell them your are looking to buy property in the area and wanted to know if they are interested in selling, they say yes.

Ok now what if this property is already for sale with a realtor? Don't they already have a contract with the homeowner?

Isnt wholesaling basically acting as a realtor?

ok so lets say the house is just vacant with no forsale signs, the owner is interested in selling. Now I guess at this point I would politely ask if I can check the house out, noting down everything that may need work. Then I would check out comps in the area as for what this house would go for in tip top condition. I would factor that into my offer. So say houses in the area in tip top shape go for 150k, needs about 20k in repairs, I think most investors go for around 70% LTV? so if the house is ultimately worth 150k, brings the offer down to 105,000, minus 20k in repairs, 85,000 so say I as the wholesaler want to make 10k off of this deal, I would offer 75k and if the home owner doesnt bite or isnt interested in my offer I guess no contract is made and I move onto the next?

so say the homeowner is satisfied with a 75,000 offer, may simply pay the house off who knows, I sit down and make a contract, what do I say? its like hey sir im going to sell your house to someone else and make money off of it, arent I a genius? What is a good pitch line here? I work with many investors that are interested in your property?

So I get the house under contract, in the contract if I dont close in say 2 weeks the house is no longer granted to me, meaning he can sell it to someone else. So under contract they have no right to sell the home to someone other then me correct? What if they do? lawsuit?

So they sign the contract, I sign the contract, with the 75,000 asking price with the assignment clause near my signature, then I head over to a title company where I tell them i will present an assignment contract and a buyer contract? I need work on the contracts because I havent made one up yet.. Would like more info on this process.

For instance say I find a buyer for 85k, I show them the house they are satisfied, hopefully without the homeowner present because I really dont want the investor to know how much I am making. I guess it doesnt matter since I am under contract to buy the house within a certain amount of time but it still just feels weird.

So the investor likes what he sees, where do I go from here? The funds, where do they go? I know we have to go to the title company, where what goes on? Do they look up the house to see if the title is clean with no lean on the property, back taxes etc? Then what? Who wires money? Homeowner doesnt have to be present at this time correct? Do I even have to be present? Can most of this be handled through fax?

thanks again

sean

0Reply
10 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Well Sean, I see why this got so far down the board without an answer. I counted 19 questions.

    I'll take the first 3 and maybe others will chime in.

    It doesn't matter if it is listed or not, if you can find a property. Yes, the listing agent has a contract to list and sell the property for the owner. No, while you are an intermediary you don't represent the seller in a agency relationship.

    If a property is on the MLS it may say fixer upper or investor's dream, something that indicates that it is not really for some family to move into.

    Wholesaling is nothing more than selling a property to someone else at a price below the potential of the property, allowing your buyer to make a profit after adding value. But you couldseel it to a family who would go in and make improvements.

    The term is rather misleading but itis used by investors. A property is worth what it brings in an open market environment to anyone. If a property is in need of repairs, that is reflected in the price, it is not a wholesale price, it is the market value in its present condition at that time. Sorry, I'm getting away from my questions.

    Next!

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    hmm alright thanks, am I on the right track though?

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Okay, only because your next question is kinda hard to understand....it's not 75% LTV (loan to value) it's ARV (after repair value less rehab costs) I think is what some goby.

    I don't use rules of thumb, I sharpent a pencil and use my calculator, see what the MV will be repaired, subtract costs of the sale, subtract cost of the rehab and my profit, costs to acquire it and then arrive at my offer. If that offer is not taken, it comes off my profitsormaybe less in rehab, might get some way to save a little more or make more, if not, I move on.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    alright I have an assignment contract, any chance i can see your buyer contract? what other contracts are needed?

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Charles Parrish:
    I DO assignments all the time, BUT, my agreements says that the assignee has only the right to my interest, NOT my contract.

    My skinny contract is so much in my favor with extended time for settlement, I would not want the buyer (assignee) of my transaction to have control of my contract, nope, not going to happen!

    Be careful out there, learn from others who have made the mistakes and created the right and safe way to make money in real estate.

    Charles

    thanks Charles I appreciated your words of wisdom, i've been doing a lot of searching, I know not everyone with great information is going to come to me! the info is out there.. its just finding it, good usefull info.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    anyone else have anything to share about what I wrote?

  • Investor · Colton, CA · Member since 2010 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    Sean, try reading the various blog's associated with the questions you have or strategy of investment you are learning. There is a ton of VERY informative articles, real life scenarios, and step by step instructions on various investment techniques, wholesaling included, written by BP members. Utilize the search, try "wholesaling" and you will be swamped with material to read.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    learning more and more each day! pretty soon I'll look back on my questions and notice how silly they were cause most of the info is right infront of your face.. I just like to get a consensus of what is working for most

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Sean,

    I would not worry about your buyer knowing how much you are making. It's either a good deal for him/her at the price you negotiated or not. It shouldn't matter how much you make.

    If it is a good deal you will have a backup buyer anyways.

    If you have it under contract and they sell it to someone else then you could probably sue, but why bother? Have you ever heard of karma? They'll get what's coming to them if that happens.

    You don't necessarily have to disclose to your seller that you are selling it but you can if you want. The way I usually handle this is I say, "I like to start marketing properties before I buy them so I can line up potential buyers."

    Once you have a contract with your buyer submit to title company. They will handle it from there. You don't have to go to closing. Your buyer will bring the money to closing and the title company will dispurse the funds.

    I hope this helps. If you need anymore info check out my ebook on wholesaling at [LINK REMOVED]

    -Homer
    P.S. Never give up on your dreams!

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    ok sounds good...soooo

    -get buyers list
    -find potential prop
    -see if they want to sell
    -make offer
    -put it under contract
    -go to title company
    -give them earnest deposit check for escrow & purchase agreement
    -Tell the title company you will be back with an assignment contract & a sales contract
    -Locate buyer
    -Show them figures/ theproperty
    -If he wants the deal, go ahead and assign the contract, both signing the assignment as well as the sales contract and ask for an earnest deposit check which will also be given to the title company for escrow, so i guess if youre going to make 10k off this deal, make the assignment contract 9,800.00 and ask for a 200.00 EMD from your new investor? I assume if you deal with the same investor all the time you dont have to hassel them with an EMD on every deal..?

    At any point should I wait till i know I have a clear title so I dont get myself into a financial danger with fees?

    How long does a title company usually need to close a deal?

    am I on the right track?

    -so what happens from here? When ever the title company is ready to close and my investor has the funds ready to go they go to the title company on their own time and so does the seller, they sign paper work and then i am sent a check. Or maybe even my investor will cut me a check after close or is that the job of the title company?

    thanks for anyone who is willing to give up their time for me to read this and reply, let me know what you think

    thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Millsboro, DE · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    Going to have to bump this thread to the top for a bit.. hopefully someone can go over what i wrote above this post

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.