Tax Delinquent Property List - Lafayette Parish, LA

Tax Delinquent Property List - Lafayette Parish, LA

Real Estate Investor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hey Bigger Pockets, 

I'm looking into marketing to tax delinquent properties in my area before they are repossessed by the bank. However, I cannot find a list anywhere and no one at the Sheriff's office or the Tax Assessors office seems to know where a list of tax delinquent properties can be found.

I live and invest in Lafayette, LA (in Lafayette Parish). They are pretty slow at offering all the information online, etc. Anyone have any ideas on how I can obtain a list of tax delinquent properties? or has anyone found a way to get a list in Lafayette, LA?

Thanks for the feedback.  

0Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 3 votes
8y

@Korey Hayes  

Check with surrounding Real Estate Attorneys....in Houston they are listed with them

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Cloverdale, OR · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Korey,

    have you purchased tax delinquent properties before? I believe every county is different but in mine they post on their website and hold sales throughout the year.

    -Case

  • Real Estate Investor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey @Case Roos, thanks for responding. No, I haven't purchased a tax delinquent home before, but figured this was a good way to find motivated sellers in my area. Yes, in Lafayette Parish, I can see a list of which properties will be sold for auction on which dates, but my dilemma is that I want the properties before they are repossessed by the banks (and before they make it to auction). 

    Every county/parish has to record when a property is delinquent on paying taxes and usually give 1-5 years before foreclosing on that property. I want the properties in between this period. 

  • Cloverdale, OR · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Korey Hayes, you're welcome! I personally haven't bought homes in that stage of delinquency, only after they've been foreclosed on. I believe the best way to do it would be to track down the lien holder and see if they'd sell you the note, however then you'd have to go through the foreclosure process yourself which I believe is a lengthy and expensive route (i.e. lawyer fees, title fees, etc.) The other potential possibility would be to go to the homeowner in delinquency and ask if they'd be willing to sell the house to you. I've heard of people doing this by offering to payoff all accrued costs of the house and giving the owner a little money to walk away with. 

    -Case

  • Real Estate Investor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Yep @Case Roos, I would like to do the latter. This is the list I'm speaking of. Each county should have a list where I can contact the homeowner who is in default. I cannot find my parish's list anywhere. 

  • Cloverdale, OR · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Korey Hayes, in my county I have to look up the specific house address on the county assessors website to find the owner of the house.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Check with surrounding Real Estate Attorneys....in Houston they are listed with them

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Korey Hayes  

    Check with surrounding Real Estate Attorneys....in Houston they are listed with them

  • Real Estate Investor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Thanks @Monique Burns. I will check with them and post to let you know what I've found. Thank you again, as well @Case Roos.

  • Cloverdale, OR · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    You're welcome @Korey Hayes. Thank you @Monique Burns for the input!

  • Investor · Lafayette/Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 915 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BP @Korey Hayes!  I think you are confusing the sheriffs foreclosure sales with the sheriffs tax sales.  They are very different processes.  Here’s where you can find more answers about the sheriff’s tax sale in Lafayette Parish:

    https://www.lafayettesheriff.com/site460.php

  • Vendor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    Some areas don't offer such information, or make it very difficult as you are finding. Another option might be to contact homeowners with Low Financial Stability Scores.

  • Realtor · Lafayette, LA · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 175 votes
    7y

    The sale is every June and all online. They post the list about 2 weeks before the sale. I don’t have the direct link but I pulled it up the other day. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.