Letter's to find Off Market Properties

Letter's to find Off Market Properties

Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes

I am new to this amazing website, so please let me know if I need to post this in a different area. I want to find off-market properties. I have created the attached letter using Brandon Turner's post from 2016. I am sure there is much more information on what works for getting potential sellers to contact you back. For the experienced people who do this for a living, what have you found that works? How often should I be sending out letters/postcards to these people? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

John O'LearyPro Member
Lender · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2021 · 737 posts · 412 votes
2y

Direct mail works, but you typically need to hit them 3-5 times or be following up with cold calling.  Too many new wholesalers mail them once and give up. What lists are you targeting plays a large roll also.  

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan KrauserPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
    Quote from @Jonathan Krauser:
    Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
    Quote from @Hector Perez:

    Direct mail marketing works great for me, and I have never stopped in over 10 years of doing it consistently, and I have closed many deals from SFR, notes, land and commercial properties

     yes, you can do PPC or SEO, but you can spend thousands of dollars too, and no deals. 

    Basically you need to know what you are doing in DM or Online for it to work, otherwise, you will spend thousands of dollars without success

    @Jonathan Krauser. The letter looks good. Good Luck

    Hopefully this message to you Hector helps you grow. I will be blunt so hold on tight. 

    "DMM has worked great for me",  

    What exactly do you mean by " it works for me" and what do you mean by "it works great". Quantify this for me.

    1% success rate? This means every 100 mailers you send you get one deal. 

    0.1% success rate? This means every 1000 mailers you send you make one deal.

    0.01% success rate? You need to send 10,000 mailers to get one deal.

    And you have been doing it for 10 years... Why even mention this as this has nothing to do with anything. 

    I have been doing this for just 6 and I get more leads for free than you get chasing after them paying a fortune. But alas this is not about me or SEO.

    Allow me to make my point.

    Consider exhibit A: some actual data/numbers

    All free, all motivated, all begging me to make them a cash offer, all 100% free. 

    So tell me again, What does "it works great for me" truly mean? It's quite objective right? So what you are doing is misleading people. What you call "works great for me", to me is quite low performance.

    So let's agree from now on to never again use mere opinion or baseless claims as a substitution for data. Agreed? Good!

    Now:

    You can spend thousands of dollars on SEO and PPC and still make no deals.  Yup! You can also die in a car accident, and/or you can also NOT die in a car accident.  Are you saying, we should not drive cars and just walk everywhere?

    Yes you can spend thousands on PPC and SEO and make no deals, but you can also spend thousands on PPC and make a TON of deals. So?! Your point?! That what you said makes absolutely no sense. 

    Are you saying DMM is acceptable because other methods CAN fail too? That is no reason to do DMM, what the hell?! Your conclusions are drawn out of thin air.

    Let's run this experiment:

    Step 1:

    How many of you doing DMM are actually successful (RELIABLY and CONSISTENTLY?  Write that number down, call it "X" 

    Step 2:

    Now, How many of you are doing DMM and get NOTHING out of it (other than a bunch of angry people threatening you?) Write THAT number down, call it Y

    Step 3:

    Compare those two numbers.

    Hector be very honest for a second. Compare the numbers. There will be a HUGE difference between "X" and "Y". I am willing to bet that X is a couple of orders of magnitudes larger than Y.

    My question to you is this. Can you be man enough to admit this?

    If yes, then there you have it. If it "worked" there would be more success than failures, but there are FAR more failures than successes, so how can you be ok with telling people or advising people to do it when you know DARN well that every 1000 people you tell to do it, 999 will fail. Bet you don't refund them when they fail, do you? I bet that if you HAD to refund the failures you would absolutely not teach people this stuff.  Right? Am I right? huh? ;) ;)

    Easy for all you gurus and coaches to say and make all sorts of claims without accountability, but if you were to be held accountable you wouldn't say these things. Most gurus (not you) think that the louder you bark the more people will listen, but none show data, proof, or evidence. WHY is that?!

    Everyone is so fast to respond to questions, but no one, NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU shows ANY evidence, proof or data backing up said claims, WHAT-SO-EVER!

    Everyone just talks a strong talk. But that's all they do. 

    Here is what you are teaching others:

    1. Perform a ton of research on how to generate leads.

    2. Listen to podcasts on your way to work.

    3. Question the meaning of life, listening to, and
    dissecting all that information.

    4. Find A list, Filter That List, Buy that List, Buy stamps, Buy mailers.

    5. Handwrite 5000 letters.

    6. Include a pen inside the envelope for “lumpy mail”.

    7. Send mailers.

    8. Experience a short-lived feeling of accomplishment.

    9. Followed by an intense sense of depression and shock upon receiving a ton of angry calls from said mailers.

    10. Get a ton of returned mailers.

    11. Skip trace these addresses.

    12. Pay for a new set of envelopes mailers and stamps.

    13. Resend mailers.

    14. Experience another short-lived feeling of hopefulness.

    15. Followed by an intense sense of depression and shock upon receiving a ton more angry calls from said mailers.

    16. Listen to more podcasts.

    17. Get a “AHA!” moment when discovering different color mailers, envelopes, and stamps.

    18. Research what mailer or letter works best. (yellow, blue, handwritten, scribbles).

    19. Slap a unique tracking phone number on each mailer design.

    20. Spend another fortune sending mailers, again.

    21. Get yelled at, again.

    22. Remove people from the list that demand it, again.

    23. Receive a bunch of returned mailers, again.

    24. Spend another fortune to skip trace and resend the new mailers… again.

    25. Subscribe to your favorite real estate investing forum and ask people what you are doing wrong.

    26. Try hard to make sense of their response: “If all this is not working for you, it means you didn’t do it enough, do more (of what obviously is not working), and stay consistent”.

    27. Get depressed.

    28. Get yourself together.

    29. Do it all over again.

    30. If it doesn't work, keep telling yourself that it works, so do more, more and more.

    31. If it STILL doesn't work,  in that case... DO MORE!! Stay consistent.

    32. If it still doesn't work, remember how many people on Biggerpockets said "it works for me", so DO MORE.

    "works great", Really dude?

    Here is what I am teaching others.

    You can't target motivated sellers. It is not possible. When you need something you take it upon yourself to find the solution to your problem. You resort to the internet. You don't look through your mail hoping someone sent you a DMM piece on how to solve your problem. You don't go through your text messages hoping a random stranger sent you a text coincidentally with the exact solution you need, you don't go to the library, you don't open a newspaper, you don't call your mom or your neighbor. You whip up your phone and go to GOOGLE!



    Motivated sellers find you. YOU don't find THEM.


    Which of the 2 makes more sense?

    To think you have been doing all these 29+ steps for 10 years and you proudly say it out loud, as if it were a good thing? It is not!!

    You and I obviously think very differently. But hey keep doing your 29 steps. That's on you.  But I wouldn't tell others to do it, there are far better and easier ways.

    Work smarter, not harder. 

    Thank you for the post. What have you found works in getting motivated sellers to talk with you?





     No worries man. My pleasure.

    To answer this question you first need to understand what a motivated seller is because this is the root of all the inconsistent advice flying around. This is very important so see if you can stick with me here.

    A motivated seller is not someone that want to, needs to, or even has to sell their house (like foreclosure, tax liens, job loss etc. etc.).

    A motivated seller is anyone willing to sell their house below market value regardless of the reason why.

    So it is the willingness to sell below market value is what separates a seller from a motivated seller.

    Take someone in foreclosure. Don't they have to sell their house? Yes. And if they don't sell their house aren't they going to be in trouble? Yes.

    Are they willing to sell their house below market value? Nope! 

    Although they HAVE to sell are desperate to sell, NEED to sell, they are NOT motivated.

    They rather pour concrete down the drain, destroy the cabinets then sell to you... at market value, let alone at a discount.

    So, once you truly and fully understand this,  think about it. Who are you targeting by sending marketing to a list? People who want to, need to, or have to sell.

    If foreclosures were motivated sellers, why does it take you 3000 to 5000 mailers calls or texts to get ONE deal?  The data and numbers are staring you in the face, but people choose to see what they want to see.

    Now. Sadly, you can't target motivated sellers. It is not possible.

    Why?

    Jon,  do you own your house? 

    Yes?

    Great.


    I am going to offer you 20 cents on the dollar for your house. Yes or no?

    No?

    Darn it.

    Fine how about 50 cents on the dollar?

    No?

    Jeez man

    FINE 100 GADAMN CENTS ON THE DOLLAR. I will give you market value for your house.

    No still right?

    Why?

    Because if you had said yes, you would have to pack,  move, find a house, moving company... WHY? WHY take on all that crap when you were not motivated in the first place right?

    So, ok you are not a motivated seller.

    God forbid, knock on wood, something happens to you tomorrow and you BECOME motivated.

    My question is this. 

    Who knows that you Jon Krauser, living at 123 Main Street became motivated?

    NO ONE!!

    You do not magically appear on the motivated seller list in Propstream. You do not get a tag in the government registry that says "Jon right.... wait for it.. .waaaait for it.. NOW.. NOW Jon became motivated, everyone sends him a mailer call or text". It's moronic!

    My point and proof, evidence-backed.

    NOTHING can target motivated sellers because no one knows when someone else becomes motivated. No list no set of characteristics and predict motivation because motivation is based on emotion, NOT DATA.

    If you were a lion in the dry savannah of Africa and you wanted food. Where would you go?

    The watering hole right?

    I don;t care who you are, your butt will be at the watering hole every single day

    Where do you go when you need info, help, reviews, knowledge, entertainment, and answers? Library? No, Google. You go to the internet.

    Well, guess what So does everyone else including actually MOTIVATED sellers.

    The ONLY way to reliably get in touch with motivated sellers is for you to make it extremely easy for them to find you.

    I call this "stalking the watering hole".

    SEO is obviously the best, but  PPC and Facebook ads (a service I do not provide... meaning I am not just saying this BECAUSE I offer SEO) are the next best thing each with advantages and disadvantages.

    Now, you are better off investing in an ever working lead generation system so you can automate this to generate the highest quality leads for free, than investing in a list, no matter the list and every single time you send mailers you have to 

    1) Hope they see the mailer

    2) Hope they open the mailer

    3) Hope that when and IF they open the mailer they are in the mood to read it

    4) Hope that when they 1. find the mailer, 2. and hopefully open the mailer, and 3. hopefully they are in the mood to read your mailer, and 4. they are coincidently in some sort of motivation state to act on the mailer, they will give YOU a call when they have received 400 other mailers from other people

    You do realize that 50% of 50% is 25%. So hoping on a hope the numbers go down QUICK.

    Can you make deals doing it the old way? Absolutely. No one is saying you don't. 

    But if you want to become a serious Real Estate Investor, you better get with the times or you will become obsolete.

    In short.

    You don;t find motivated sellers, they find you.

    If you have to pay for a lead tr chase a lead, per definition it is a bad lead. Why Because if it was a good lead you wouldn't need to change them They would be chasing the solution to their problem, YOU!

    And this is not just blowing hot air.

    You all seen my data, seen the evidence seen my leads pouring in and ...

    Now you have seen my checks:

    All these are Wholesale assignment fees!

    That is what I find so stupid in these forums. People fight me on DMM cold calling lists,   WHILE they complain about DMM cold calling and lists. I tell them its wrong they defend it to the death, while they SEE me put undisputable proof that those methods are retarded!, yet they call themselves coaches and experts with absolutely no data to show While I am showing concrete proof that what I am telling them is solid, common sense logic, while THEIR OWN DATA  shows I am correct.

    Un

    Be

    LIEV

    ABLE!!!

    Okay I am interested.  I do not need to know anymore about how mailers are bad.   How do you find motivated sellers?

  • Jonathan KrauserPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
    Quote from @Ecaterina Katerina Morosan:

    1. Cold call the target area

    2. Send out letters in handwritten envelops about your intention to purchase

    3. Follow up

    4. Send out flyers about recently sold/purchased

    5. Cold call

    6. Follow up

    7. Send letters to mailing address instead of property address

    etc etc etc

    You need to become hyperlocal and more important to reach the person at the right time. Also, don't forget to bring up any off market deals you are aware of in the area. Have a list of them. I personally think it's not just mailers but a combination of actions that works. Good luck!

    1. Cold call the target area

    The area has nothing to do with people being motivated to sell. 

    2. Send out letters in handwritten envelops about your intention to purchase

    Handwritten letters only TRICK people into OPENING the letter. Tricking them to open the letter doesn't magically transform them from being non-motivated to being motivated!

    And even when you TRICK them to open the letter, they will be disappointed right? They will feel like you tricked them and manipulated them into opening the letter. this does the opposite of building rapport, you are pissing them off. Don't do this. 

    3. Follow up

    Following up only pisses people off more. Think about it. If you have to follow up, it means they were not interested right?  So you know they are not interested so you bug them with a service they don't want.  You are not winning them over.

    The danger in this is that you are not there on your own doing your thing. You have competition. If you were competing against us... a friendly respectful, professional-behaving couple that didn't monthly harass them like a desperate maniac you will lose.

    4. Send out flyers about recently sold/purchased

    You are enticing them to find an agent. Not what you want (if you are looking for motivated sellers). If the recently sold show market value,  you are driving their hopes up. Don't want to do that.

    5. Cold call

    Will piss them off, and you are reaching people that do not want to sell their house especially not at a discount. So I wouldn't do this either.

    6. Follow up

    Piss them off, harass them. Following up means they are not interested (or you wouldn't have to follow up). Bugging them constantly is not going to make them like you. more. Yes, some do deals with you, but that is all you see. You only see when it worked For every person you made a deal with during follow-up, you pissed 600 people off. That is not the way to run a business.

    7. Send letters to the mailing address instead of the property address

    See above. Mailers, lists, calls can't target motivated sellers.

    You said:
    "You need to become hyperlocal and more important to reach the person at the right time."

    This is correct, but that is a bad thing. You will NEVER know when someone is about to become motivated. There is no way of knowing

    My advice to everyone is this.

    Stop thinking with a scarcity desperation mindset.

    If you think it is ok to harass 1000 people to death to get one contract signed, you really need to reevaluate your business ethics and principles. You are looking for clients. You are providing a service to your clients. Your clients are motivated sellers.

    You can NOT convert people who do not want to sell  (below market value) into people willing to sell below market value.

    The mistake people make (constantly) is their efforts are based on forcing non-motivated sellers to sell, by constant harassment.

    This is wrong.

    Instead of mass mailing blanket mailing,  and putting your energy in finding random people and forcing them to become motivated by putting a ton of effort and money into follow-up, you need to focus on targeting the RIGHT people.

    People who are actually looking for your service.

    Hopefully, it changes your perspective and you can improve your business.


     I am looking for specific properties, so I will need a list. I am only interested in duplexes in a defined area. It sounds like you are trying to find deals no matter what the property is, but that is not what I am doing. I am looking at long-term holds with duplexes only. I went to your seminar, and I am not sure how your specialized website will attract the duplex owners I am looking for. I am also not sure I went to spend the $7K plus with a website that does not specifically find what I am actually looking for.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Krauser:
    Quote from @Jerryll Noorden:
    Quote from @Ecaterina Katerina Morosan:

    1. Cold call the target area

    2. Send out letters in handwritten envelops about your intention to purchase

    3. Follow up

    4. Send out flyers about recently sold/purchased

    5. Cold call

    6. Follow up

    7. Send letters to mailing address instead of property address

    etc etc etc

    You need to become hyperlocal and more important to reach the person at the right time. Also, don't forget to bring up any off market deals you are aware of in the area. Have a list of them. I personally think it's not just mailers but a combination of actions that works. Good luck!

    1. Cold call the target area

    The area has nothing to do with people being motivated to sell. 

    2. Send out letters in handwritten envelops about your intention to purchase

    Handwritten letters only TRICK people into OPENING the letter. Tricking them to open the letter doesn't magically transform them from being non-motivated to being motivated!

    And even when you TRICK them to open the letter, they will be disappointed right? They will feel like you tricked them and manipulated them into opening the letter. this does the opposite of building rapport, you are pissing them off. Don't do this. 

    3. Follow up

    Following up only pisses people off more. Think about it. If you have to follow up, it means they were not interested right?  So you know they are not interested so you bug them with a service they don't want.  You are not winning them over.

    The danger in this is that you are not there on your own doing your thing. You have competition. If you were competing against us... a friendly respectful, professional-behaving couple that didn't monthly harass them like a desperate maniac you will lose.

    4. Send out flyers about recently sold/purchased

    You are enticing them to find an agent. Not what you want (if you are looking for motivated sellers). If the recently sold show market value,  you are driving their hopes up. Don't want to do that.

    5. Cold call

    Will piss them off, and you are reaching people that do not want to sell their house especially not at a discount. So I wouldn't do this either.

    6. Follow up

    Piss them off, harass them. Following up means they are not interested (or you wouldn't have to follow up). Bugging them constantly is not going to make them like you. more. Yes, some do deals with you, but that is all you see. You only see when it worked For every person you made a deal with during follow-up, you pissed 600 people off. That is not the way to run a business.

    7. Send letters to the mailing address instead of the property address

    See above. Mailers, lists, calls can't target motivated sellers.

    You said:
    "You need to become hyperlocal and more important to reach the person at the right time."

    This is correct, but that is a bad thing. You will NEVER know when someone is about to become motivated. There is no way of knowing

    My advice to everyone is this.

    Stop thinking with a scarcity desperation mindset.

    If you think it is ok to harass 1000 people to death to get one contract signed, you really need to reevaluate your business ethics and principles. You are looking for clients. You are providing a service to your clients. Your clients are motivated sellers.

    You can NOT convert people who do not want to sell  (below market value) into people willing to sell below market value.

    The mistake people make (constantly) is their efforts are based on forcing non-motivated sellers to sell, by constant harassment.

    This is wrong.

    Instead of mass mailing blanket mailing,  and putting your energy in finding random people and forcing them to become motivated by putting a ton of effort and money into follow-up, you need to focus on targeting the RIGHT people.

    People who are actually looking for your service.

    Hopefully, it changes your perspective and you can improve your business.


     I am looking for specific properties, so I will need a list. I am only interested in duplexes in a defined area. It sounds like you are trying to find deals no matter what the property is, but that is not what I am doing. I am looking at long-term holds with duplexes only. I went to your seminar, and I am not sure how your specialized website will attract the duplex owners I am looking for. I am also not sure I went to spend the $7K plus with a website that does not specifically find what I am actually looking for.  


    When you are looking for a pink dress to buy for your daughter, how would you possibly do it?

    You go to Google and type in "pink dress" right?

    Easy right?

    And google will find you websites that offers pink dresses right?

    Let me check this for ya...

    Oh Em Geeh it worked!

    How does Google know to return "pink dresses" when you type it in? WEBSITES that offer pick dresses have pink dress content on it and Google crawlers catalog all websites on Google so Google can retrieve them when someone looks for them.

    If you build a website where you tell everyone (Google included) that you buy Duplexes, anyone who has a duplex to sell will find your website, if you are decent at SEO and that is how you find Dumplexes with a website.

    You can have your website target anything you want.

    Lastly, I always find it funny when people pull that $7K card on me. First my products do not cost $7K.

    Second:

    You are willing to spend $300K+ on a crappy house hoping to fix it up by spending an other $200K on it hoping to make a $60K profit after 6 months to a year,  

    But the thought of spending $7K to make continuous $100K+ profits with far lower risk, with all the proof shown, evergreen forever getting you these deals for free makes you cower in fear.

    Silly don't you think?

    And I am not selling you anything here. I am just giving you the truth. You can either listen to the people that tell you DMM has worked for 10 years for them, rushing to believe that, when 23,000,00 other people tell you that they got nothing out of DMM selectively picking who you want to believe based on what you want to hear.

    I am not here to make you believe anything. I am here to provide data. You choose what direction you want to go with the knowledge I gave you.

    Go do your DMM. and I hope it will work for you. Cheers dude.

  • Jonathan KrauserPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    My letters were sent to about 500 people. So far, I have received one call from a legitimate property seller. Unfortunately, the seller's asking price is unrealistic.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Krauser:

    My letters were sent to about 500 people. So far, I have received one call from a legitimate property seller. Unfortunately, the seller's asking price is unrealistic.  


    Sorry man, but don't get discouraged. That is how outbound marketing works. That is what I am trying to teach others.

    Willing to sell is not the same as willing to accept an offer below market value. That is the difference between a seller, and a motivated seller. 

    What I have been saying is this. Nothing can target motivated sellers.. no lists, no software, no gadgets no pocket list no nothing. Someone's current situation they are, no matter how bad, has ZERO relevance to their willingness to sell below market value. 

    That is why someone in foreclosure rather see their own house burn to the ground than sell to you (much less at a discount).  You are going to have to send anywhere between 3000 to 5000 mailers to start to see a better probability to get a deal.

    That is simply the nature of the beast.

    Now as a reference. This guy started taking his website seriously in Feb,  around the time you posted this.

    4 weeks later:

    Now don't misunderstand. I am not telling you to buy whatever I am selling. My point is, work smarter, not harder! Again, you don't need to buy anything from me. I have a lot of posts here on BP where I give all my secrets out for free. Just do a search for my name.

    Website, make it credible, and drive people to your website... the RIGHT people, you will do far better, far faster,  than mailers, texts, or calls!

    if you have questions just ask.

    Here to help!

  • Dave KushPro Member
    Frankfort, IL · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 132 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Ramirez:

    Hey @Jonathan Krauser, 

    I didn't have success with direct mail. After doing it for 7 months I realized that the problem wasn't my approach or the letter itself it was more the competition in my market. The conversion rate on direct mail is slow but when you are in a demanding market it's slower and the cash cycle could take over a year. 

    I have seen people having success with direct mail outside metropolitan cities and even in rural areas because there are not many investors fighting for the same deal. 

    Best of luck! 

    Hi David! 

    What you wrote makes perfect sense to me. What do you do in place of direct mail?  

    Thank you!

    Dave

  • Jonathan KrauserPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    Update!!!!!!

    I just closed on another duplex from an off market seller. I was introduced to this seller from the letters that I sent out. This duplex is walking distance to the ocean and will be a great long term rental for me.

    Purchase Price: $400,000
    Owner Financing: 5.0 percent interest only with a 5 year balloon
    Money down: $90,000
    Repairs Costs: $35,000
    Cash Flow:  $632/mo
    CoC ROI: 5.96%

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2014 · 151 posts · 37 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jonathan Krauser:

    Update!!!!!!

    I just closed on another duplex from an off market seller. I was introduced to this seller from the letters that I sent out. This duplex is walking distance to the ocean and will be a great long term rental for me.

    Purchase Price: $400,000
    Owner Financing: 5.0 percent interest only with a 5 year balloon
    Money down: $90,000
    Repairs Costs: $35,000
    Cash Flow:  $632/mo
    CoC ROI: 5.96%


     Good job.  Sounds like you got a great return on your mail drop.  

    Ususally to run a proper mailing campagin, you're looking at sending atleast 5000 letters monthly, not 500. 

    Every marketing channel works (SEO targeting duplex sellers,  PPC,  cold call center, direct mail), and thats why they exist.  Direct mail is the bread and butter for majority of wholesaling shops.  It comes down to niching down to the target audience (ie 30+ years ownership, built 1980s and earlier, owner age 70+). They all check the mail and trust TV a guy on daytime TV commercial.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.