Advice on Buying from a Wholesaler and on Financing Options?

Advice on Buying from a Wholesaler and on Financing Options?

Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes

I'm looking for a duplex to house hack in my area.  I've looked about 10 places but only one has been of interest. There were over 25+ showings I saw within 2 days and I was very close to the highest bidder but didn't get it.  I realize it is going to be more difficult and don't want to get into bidding wars with people.  I'm looking to fix up the duplex and found a wholesale company in my state. 

I got in contact with a wholesale company in my area.  I am not too familar with wholesale.  They told me they would not accept conventional loans.  I have been pre-approved through a mortgage company and credit union.  Since they are wholesale, they recommended I talk to this man who offers hard money loans.  My concern is the interest rates are about double (6% vs 12% for hard money loan).  I only have about $50,000 to $60,000 to startup for my first property.  

I still have to consult with the hard money lender, but are there any other options other than hard money lenders?  They accept cash (don't have enough cash upfront for $200,000 to $250,000 duplex), private funds, hard money loan, or a commercial loan.  Any advice on financing if they will not accept my conventional loan.

I guess the biggest interest is that there is less competition and it seems like these wholesale deals are more of what I'm looking for.  It offers more duplexes in my area that are off-market.  They said it would likely be better to pay more interest with a hard money loan for an off-market deal than on-market.  Any advice for me on loans or options I have to finance this with a wholesaler?  

Thank you very much.  I am just getting into owning real estate and don't want to lose money on my first duplex. 

1Reply
25 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 739 posts · 410 votes
    4y

    Hi @Derrek J Hooyman, you can go through a non-QM lender. 

    They offer programs very similar to hard money lenders but their rates are only 1-2% higher than conventional.

    They will not be able to close in 3 days like a HML would but they offer better rates, term, and they are licensed so you do not have to worry about fraudulent activity.

    You can either go through a mortgage broker or through them directly. Brokers are typically cheaper if you find the right one but some direct lenders are better priced.

    Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

  • Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    Hi @Derrek J Hooyman, you can go through a non-QM lender. 

    They offer programs very similar to hard money lenders but their rates are only 1-2% higher than conventional.

    They will not be able to close in 3 days like a HML would but they offer better rates, term, and they are licensed so you do not have to worry about fraudulent activity.

    You can either go through a mortgage broker or through them directly. Brokers are typically cheaper if you find the right one but some direct lenders are better priced.

    Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.


     where can I find mortgage brokers or non-QM lenders?  

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Derrek J Hooyman
    A lot of wholesalers will only work with offers that are cash or hard money due to the contract being assigned. It's not very common for wholesalers to allow financed offers, but it occasionally happens. If you are determined to buy it with a conventional loan your best bet would be to work with an investor-friendly agent that sources off-market deals. 

  • Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    Found a non QM option

  • Member since 2022 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    I'm disappointed tho.  A guy I trust suggests not using non-QM.  He said largest nonQM shut it's door yesterday and doesn't think it really is ideal for me.  He warned me to be careful of off market deals and not get stuck with a place.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.