Quitting my Job off of Land

Quitting my Job off of Land

Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 10 votes

Hello all! New to the BiggerPockets community and thought posting my success story might be a good place to start.

About 5 years ago I was making $150k/year but was working myself to death quite literally. I felt like I had no direction and was just spinning my wheels. I looked into all kinds of things - dropshipping, etc, but I always came back to real estate. I started doing mailers and was making pretty decent money for a side hustle, but felt like I was just working even more and still couldn't quit my job.

Then 3 or so years I stumbled onto a certain market and really got my groove. I specialize in vacant land, specifically in lower dollar amount vacant lots. Don't get me wrong, I do big deals too - but there are a TON of buyers out there for lots that I can buy for $100-$300 and then sell for $1500-$5000. Those lots sell so quickly, are easy to close, and I really found my niche.

I told myself that I would quit my job when I was brining in $5,000/month on a consistent basis. $5,000/month came and went very quickly, and I haven't looked back. (and I DO NOT miss sitting in an office job all day, lol)

Today, I'm doing about 30-50 of these smaller dollar amount properties per month and 1-2 bigger dollar deals per month. I have a small staff of VAs to help me with listing information. My personal brag is that I feel like I've really mastered vacant land marketing. I can sell pretty much any piece of land in 30 days or less on the internet.

NOW I'm ready to dive into a new world, and looking into owning multifamily. Here's to new knowledge!

4Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 385 posts · 197 votes
3y

Hey @Annie Smith Thank you so much for sharing your story! It was so inspiring and I wish you all the best in your real estate journey!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 385 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    Hey @Annie Smith Thank you so much for sharing your story! It was so inspiring and I wish you all the best in your real estate journey!

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mary Smith:

    Hey @Annie Smith Thank you so much for sharing your story! It was so inspiring and I wish you all the best in your real estate journey!


     Thanks Mary! Nice last name (: I wish you the best as well!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    @Annie Smith Did you start with some kind of land investing course? If so which one? 

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Annie Smith Congrats! Have you primarily focused on land in your area or have you looked out of state?

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Biren Soni:

    @Annie Smith Did you start with some kind of land investing course? If so which one? 


     I learned on my own from YouTube and podcasts and a lot of trial and error, haha.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Justin Boyd:

    @Annie Smith Congrats! Have you primarily focused on land in your area or have you looked out of state?


     I've never actually invested in my state haha, I look elsewhere.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    I would love,love, love to do what your doing, watched several webinars and they all want money.  How did u get started, if you wouldnt mind sharing?

    Keep up your great work

    Roberta DeVoy

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Hey thank you for sharing your story as well! I would love to hear more about your journey as I am new to land and I see the opportunity but I’m still connecting the dots. Let me know if you have any free time to jump on a call or I could shoot you my email.

  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Ummmm, yeah all that land flipping stuff, Can you teach me??  hahah

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    2y

    That's amazing, @Annie Smith! Thanks for sharing your story!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.