Opinion on providing exercise equipment in mid term rentals

Opinion on providing exercise equipment in mid term rentals

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 4 votes

I did a search and don't see much discussion about this.  Do people put exercise equipment like treadmill or stationary bike in their mid term rentals? Or is the liability concern too great?   In the house that I hope to rent out to mid-term travelers there is a treadmill and I am thinking whether to keep it there.  It seems like people who stays for several months would be interested in a hassle free to exercise.  For liability issues I feel like people can injury themselves in a number of ways like take a tumble down the stairs or burn their hand on stovetop so a simple treadmill doesn't seem too dangerous to me? 

0Reply
22 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tom Shi:

    I did a search and don't see much discussion about this.  Do people put exercise equipment like treadmill or stationary bike in their mid term rentals? Or is the liability concern too great?   In the house that I hope to rent out to mid-term travelers there is a treadmill and I am thinking whether to keep it there.  It seems like people who stays for several months would be interested in a hassle free to exercise.  For liability issues I feel like people can injury themselves in a number of ways like take a tumble down the stairs or burn their hand on stovetop so a simple treadmill doesn't seem too dangerous to me? 


     That's a great way to stand out! I'd opt for a stationary bike over a treadmill. I have no idea about liability. Maybe get a waiver drawn up?

  • Real Estate Agent · North Carolina and California · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    HI Conner, 

    I have a home gym in personal home and I love it!  I opted to  provide my renters with a yoga mat, hand weights and the house pool is great addition to get some exercise! A stationary bike is compact enough to fit anywhere! I hope this helps!  

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    No.  Too many problems-risk, repairs, etc.  Give them contact info for a local gym that has drop in fees.

  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    2y

    It depends on who you're targeting as a tenant for your property. Are they the type of person who would value a treadmill? There's no one size fits all answer to this question. Liability wise you should consult a lawyer, but it may be as simple as a waiver and proper insurance coverage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.