Votes
Talat Solaiman
Pro Member
Votes |
Midterm rental permitting

Talat Solaiman
Pro Member
Posted Feb 28 2024, 12:53

I am about to close on a deal to do midterm rental. Just find out the city ordinance is required if you rent any unit for 180 days or less, then you need to pull a permit. Most places is usually 30 days or less. Any thought?

User Stats

Votes
Lateefah Mathews
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 28 2024, 13:18

@Talat Solaiman Congrats on your upcoming closing! Assuming you are referencing the city of Atlanta, the STR and MTR rental regulations are complex and strict, but many adhere to them. It has been in effect since early 2022, requiring licensing for STRs and max 180-day listing periods.

If you want to avoid the lengthy process of securing permits and navigating ordinances, you can always opt for long-term rental for the first year. This should simplify your approach and help you avoid legal issues for failure to perform under the contract.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Zachary Deal#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Feb 29 2024, 06:15

I recommend following @Lateefah Mathews advice assuming this is Atlanta. Regardless of where it is it is very important to adhere to local regulations. You are correct that a lot of municipalities only require STR permits if you rent less than 30 days, however every place is different.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Brown
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 4 2024, 20:45
Quote from @Lateefah Mathews:

@Talat Solaiman Congrats on your upcoming closing! Assuming you are referencing the city of Atlanta, the STR and MTR rental regulations are complex and strict, but many adhere to them. It has been in effect since early 2022, requiring licensing for STRs and max 180-day listing periods.

If you want to avoid the lengthy process of securing permits and navigating ordinances, you can always opt for long-term rental for the first year. This should simplify your approach and help you avoid legal issues for failure to perform under the contract.

Thanks for this! I am thinking about taking my home in Dekalb and making it a MTR. Seems to be a lot of hassle tbh. Not to mention I'd have to pay for utilities, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jun 5 2024, 09:53
Quote from @Talat Solaiman:

I am about to close on a deal to do midterm rental. Just find out the city ordinance is required if you rent any unit for 180 days or less, then you need to pull a permit. Most places is usually 30 days or less. Any thought?

If it's required then you need to do it. If the City has put an ordinance in place they're going to enforce it 99% of the time. It may delay you a bit in getting it launched, but having to have a permit isn't necessarily a bad thing. It usually means there will be less competition.