Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Aaron S.
Votes |
ADUs in Howard, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore Counties (Maryland)

Aaron S.
Posted Jun 15 2024, 06:25

All,

I'm new to real estate investing. Looking to buy a SFH in one of these counties, with the intent to convert a basement into an ADU and rent it out (short or long term) - and live in the main unit as owner-occupied. Does anyone have any experience / can advise on the process in each of these counties?

It looks like in Baltimore county, you can't rent out an ADU unless it's to family members. (https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/853/topics/1171225-pote...) What are the rules on that?

I've heard that Howard county allows building and renting out ADUs, but the permitting and becoming a landlord process can be a pain.

Looks like Anne Arundel allows building ADUs and renting out short-term (but not long-term?), as long as it's not zoned R22-Residential (https://www.aacounty.org/sites/default/files/2023-07/adu-fac...). Overall, it sounds to me like the process might be easiest here. Can anyone confirm that?

In general, I'm looking to learn: Does the county allow building and renting out an ADU, either short or long term? What's the permitting process like for both building out the ADU and obtaining a license to rent it out?

Thanks!

Loading replies...