Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Finding Triplexes or Quadplexes

Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Posted May 30 2024, 18:24

Hi all,

I'm looking to house hack in the next year or two and have been connecting with brokers and looking on Redfin, Zillow, Movoto, etc.

I'd really prefer to buy a Triplex or Quadplex, but I'm having a hard time finding many if any options. Obviously, I use the filters for multi-family, but it's usually always duplexes. Does anyone have any suggestions on best practices for finding these properties? I know these properties can be limited in Denver, but figured I'd ask!

Any information is appreciated and I'd love to connect!

Thank you,
Alec 

User Stats

Votes
Chad Rocke
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 31 2024, 04:59

@Alec Bildstein

Hey Alec, great job on starting to look now and get your ducks in a row, it’s never too early to start looking to get a feel for the market.

I’d love to chat more and hear about your real estate goals.

I have 9 doors in Denver/WI and have done short term, medium term, long term, rent by the room and I’m currently house hacking while renting out my basement and cut my mortgage in half. I’d be happy to share my experience and perspective on the current market and some tips on looking for multi family units.

I’ll send you a dm and we can grab coffee soon

User Stats

Votes
Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 31 2024, 12:29

Thank you, Chad! Looking forward to connecting with you.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied May 31 2024, 14:33

@Alec Bildstein

House hacking with triplex or quadplex properties can be a successful strategy in high-priced markets like Denver. To increase your chances of finding the right property, expand your search criteria, use multiple platforms like MLS, and network with local professionals like real estate agents, property managers, and wholesalers. Consider off-market properties through direct mail campaigns, driving for dollars, and working with wholesalers. Use tech tools like alert services and apps to find and reach out to homeowners. Keep at it, check listings a lot, and stay up-to-date on the housing market. Don't give up even when it's tough. Use your contacts and what you have in the real estate world. Keeping on and not giving up will help you find the right home in the end.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Denis Ponder
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Yuma, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Yuma, AZ
Replied May 31 2024, 14:39

On Zillow, if you hover over the "More" heading, you will get a drop down.  From there, you can type triplex or quadplex, or other variations, to narrow down the search.  This will help if they use this term in the listing description.  It has helped me narrow down my search some depending on what I'm looking for.  Happy hunting!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 31 2024, 14:59
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Alec Bildstein

House hacking with triplex or quadplex properties can be a successful strategy in high-priced markets like Denver. To increase your chances of finding the right property, expand your search criteria, use multiple platforms like MLS, and network with local professionals like real estate agents, property managers, and wholesalers. Consider off-market properties through direct mail campaigns, driving for dollars, and working with wholesalers. Use tech tools like alert services and apps to find and reach out to homeowners. Keep at it, check listings a lot, and stay up-to-date on the housing market. Don't give up even when it's tough. Use your contacts and what you have in the real estate world. Keeping on and not giving up will help you find the right home in the end.

Good luck!

Thanks, Wale! I appreciate your insight, it's very helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Alec Bildstein
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 31 2024, 14:59
Quote from @Denis Ponder:

On Zillow, if you hover over the "More" heading, you will get a drop down.  From there, you can type triplex or quadplex, or other variations, to narrow down the search.  This will help if they use this term in the listing description.  It has helped me narrow down my search some depending on what I'm looking for.  Happy hunting!

This is super helpful, Denis! I didn't know about this feature, so thanks for sharing!!

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Jun 3 2024, 13:14
Quote from @Alec Bildstein:
Quote from @Wale Lawal:

@Alec Bildstein

Good luck!

Thanks, Wale! I appreciate your insight, it's very helpful!

My pleasure!

Keep learning and growing...