Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Austin Powell
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
Tips for First REI/House Hack Deal

Austin Powell
  • New to Real Estate
  • Long Beach, CA
Posted May 1 2024, 11:03

Hello,

I am beginning the hunt for my first property. I've had my ear against the door of REI for a few years now and I'm finally ready (within the next 12 months or so) to dive in. The main goal is of course to omit my personal housing cost each month as I will be returning to college. Its just my dog and I so more than willing to sacrifice the majority of the property to the renters to maximize income. I am extremely handy with a vast collection of tools so can perform improvements myself. Ideally it would be mostly cosmetic and nothing serious as my free time is fairly limited with work/school. That being said, if it makes the deal make sense I'm definitely willing to take this on. Here are the questions I currently have -

1.) Is it best to find a property that is already divided or has a separate unit? Or a small multi family?

2.) What're some major issues people have seen with this process? Permitting, zoning, finance, etc.

3.) Are there any financing options that are favorable to this process and include construction costs?

4.) If going the conversion route, what are some property features to look for?

Location - Jacksonville, FL (unfortunately, no basements!)

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips!

Loading replies...