Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Mason Alvarado
Votes |
ADU Financing for renting

Mason Alvarado
Posted Apr 24 2024, 11:00

Has anyone in the Tucson area secured financing for an ADU rental on their primary residence? We have the land and meet the code requirements dictated by Pima county. I am looking for information regarding financing the construction on an ADU. I am open to getting a manufactured home and dropping it if necessary. I have an FHA on my residence. Haven't refinanced or pulled a HELOC. Not sure if there are other long term finance options (30 years preferably). Budget is $80k-100k for a 2br/1ba.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Allen
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied May 2 2024, 11:00

I think, generally speaking, this is one of the bigger reasons NOT to build an ADU in your backyard simply because you have the space: there aren't really any simple ways to finance the building costs.

Maybe some specialty programs exist for prefab homes or a custom ADU builder might have his own lender partner they could refer you to... but unless you yourself are an experienced home builder with a track record in ground-up construction, you're basically looking at a hard money or a HELOC. You also probably will not get a $1 in cost <= $1 in value from the ADU after construction, if you tried to do a cash-our refi or something. AND you cannot separately sell or refinance that ADU in the future.

That said, I ran across this company that seems to specialize in this type of addition: maybe they could help? https://www.prismadu.com/

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Morgan
  • New to Real Estate
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied May 2 2024, 13:13

Have you looked into shipping containers?

Personally, I think it's an incredibly interesting idea. The concept is to convert one or more shipping containers (the containers transported on the decks of those massive cargo ships) into a home. There are tons of examples of these container homes online plus info about the conversion process. Some contractors even specialize in converting containers into houses.

Wow I sound like a container shill. I've not built one before, I just think it's a cool idea. Check it out, maybe it could work for your property.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mason Alvarado
Votes |
Replied May 2 2024, 13:44
Quote from @Patrick Allen:

I think, generally speaking, this is one of the bigger reasons NOT to build an ADU in your backyard simply because you have the space: there aren't really any simple ways to finance the building costs.

Maybe some specialty programs exist for prefab homes or a custom ADU builder might have his own lender partner they could refer you to... but unless you yourself are an experienced home builder with a track record in ground-up construction, you're basically looking at a hard money or a HELOC. You also probably will not get a $1 in cost <= $1 in value from the ADU after construction, if you tried to do a cash-our refi or something. AND you cannot separately sell or refinance that ADU in the future.

That said, I ran across this company that seems to specialize in this type of addition: maybe they could help? https://www.prismadu.com/

That was very helpful. Thanks! I may go with a private/portfolio lender. I do have plenty of family who are willing to let me owe them money