Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
House Hacking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Harshraj Thakor
Votes |
What's the best software/way to collect rent for house hacking?

Harshraj Thakor
Posted Oct 29 2023, 20:54

Hi, I live in Charlotte, NC and I am brand new to house hacking and real estate I have 4 rooms in my house to collect rent from and I am looking for the best software/way to collect rent/manage the property. I need a software/tool that can help me collect rent from 4 different tenants in the same property. Also, it would be great if I could get some suggestions on what website/tool to use to do background checks and e-sign lease agreements.  

And if you have any suggestions/advice for someone who's just getting into house hacking please feel free to put them down. I would love to gather as much knowledge as possible. Thank You

User Stats

Votes
KC Pake
Lender
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orange Park, FL
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Orange Park, FL
Replied Oct 30 2023, 05:18
Quote from @Harshraj Thakor:

Hi, I live in Charlotte, NC and I am brand new to house hacking and real estate I have 4 rooms in my house to collect rent from and I am looking for the best software/way to collect rent/manage the property. I need a software/tool that can help me collect rent from 4 different tenants in the same property. Also, it would be great if I could get some suggestions on what website/tool to use to do background checks and e-sign lease agreements.  

And if you have any suggestions/advice for someone who's just getting into house hacking please feel free to put them down. I would love to gather as much knowledge as possible. Thank You

Hi Harshraj!

Here is some information that might be helpful.

Rent Collection/Property Management:
For collecting rent from multiple tenants and managing your property, here are a few popular options:

Cozy.co: This platform is free for landlords and provides rent collection, expense tracking, and even maintenance request functionalities.

Buildium: This is more comprehensive and suitable if you ever decide to scale up and manage multiple properties. It offers online rent collection, expense tracking, tenant screening, and more.

Zillow Rental Manager: Another free option where you can collect rent, screen tenants, and even list your property.

Background Checks and Lease Agreements:

Avail.co: This platform not only allows you to collect rent but also provides comprehensive tenant screening, including credit, criminal, and eviction checks. They also offer customizable lease agreements.

TenantCloud: This is a more holistic property management solution, but it also offers tenant screening and customizable lease agreement functionalities.

Rocket Lawyer: For e-signing lease agreements, this tool is useful. It also provides a library of real estate-related legal documents you might need.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel McDonald
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Replied Oct 30 2023, 05:21

HI @Harshraj Thakor, I am a 2x house hacker just north of Boston. Great strategy, it has truly been a game-changer for me! Congrats on taking this huge leap. I have always used apartments.com (Which used to be cozy) to collect rent and I have had no complaints! It's free which is nice and does what I need it to. Rentredi is also a popular one (paid service) but I can't give my personal experience on that. You can create "tenants" in apartments.com and charge them whatever you want so no issue there on renting by the room. I just get an email every month, don't even think about it. As for e- signing dotloop is what i use in my agency business and it's very easy. However, you pay for it. If you're already living there I suggest saving your money and just having them sign it in person. You can upload it to apartments.com after for everyone to have access too. Why spend where you don't need to. Just my two cents!  

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Oct 30 2023, 06:01

Tenants comfortable with tech pay with Venmo. Free, easy, well-known. 

We also just print our 3 pg lease.  Something about tenants actually reading and initiating important parts makes them pay attention I think. 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Agent
#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Oct 30 2023, 06:45

@Harshraj Thakor I use apartments.com formerly COZY. Its been great. 

User Stats

Votes
Joey Banasihan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 30 2023, 08:58

@Harshraj Thakor I use Avail and it has been really good. Because of the customizable leases, tenant screening, and maintenance requests; it provides an all-in one system for all of your needs without having to use multiple softwares. 

Boise TurnKey Investments Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Agent
#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Oct 30 2023, 09:33

@Harshraj Thakor

I've used 4 different rent collection software tools now, and my absolute favorite is Turbotenant. 

Extremely user friendly and have had multiple tenants compliment the ease of the software. 

I've house hacked 2 properties (SFH's) and rent by the room w/ separate leases. Willing to answer any questions I can for you. Good luck!!

User Stats

Votes
Yu Liu
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Replied Oct 30 2023, 21:59

I 3rd apartments.com

User Stats

Votes
Didier Bizimungu
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Saint Petersburg, FL
Replied Oct 31 2023, 06:33

I use Apartments.com as well. I break up each tenat as Unit 1, Unit 2 etc. 

For electronically signed leases, I use Zillow Rentals (free) and Tenant Cloud for listing/background checks. 

Besides using the built-in free listing to Zillow, Realtor.com, I also post the listing on Facebook Marketplace. 

All of these tools are free to the landlord as of now (Tenant Cloud is changing in November so I'll have to find another free alternative).

Let me know if you have any other questions on the background mechanics. 

User Stats

Votes
Avery Heilbron
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh-Durham, NC
Replied Oct 31 2023, 08:08

Hi Harshraj! definitely apartments.com. Free for you and does what you need

User Stats

Votes
Lorien Rollins
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Oct 31 2023, 08:27

@Harshraj Thakor I too am in the Charlotte area, welcome! If you're looking for an all inclusive software I would recommend RentRedi, you have access to this via BP if you're a pro member. I use PayRent for my LTR in Denver, NC. I am a seasoned multi-family property manager and have experience with many platforms. Apartments is a great platform, Rent Cafe is also user friendly - you can esign docs there.

Feel free to reach out if you have any quetsions!

Artfully,

Lorien

User Stats

Votes
David Liu
Pro Member
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Replied Oct 31 2023, 09:25

Hey Harshraj, 

I use Zillow Rental Manager, you can setup automatic rent collection and the rental income is easy to track. You can also charge for utilities by requesting a one time payment on Zillow. 

It's not bad for a 1st house hack. You'll also want a system like stessa.com(comes free with BP membership). Stessa can help you track automatically all income, expenses by integrating with your bank account, credit cards used for the househack. You can then press one button to export all tax documents at the end of the year. 

Make sure you create a separate bank account for your rent collection. Don't mix it with your personal bank account. 

User Stats

Votes
Justin Reagan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Oct 31 2023, 16:44

Apartments.com is great for your situation! I don't use it for background checks, but it's a great free website for your other property management needs.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Eric Young
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Commerce City, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Commerce City, CO
Replied Nov 1 2023, 08:12

I've used Avail.co for the last 5 years.  It's been great.  It does background checks, creates the lease agreement that can be digitally signed, it accept rent payments.  Everything is automated.  

Denver Property Flip Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bracero
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westboro, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Westboro, MA
Replied Nov 2 2023, 09:44

Agree, apartments.com is very user friendly and tenants have had no issues with payment 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 29 2024, 10:03
Quote from @David Liu:

Hey Harshraj, 

I use Zillow Rental Manager, you can setup automatic rent collection and the rental income is easy to track. You can also charge for utilities by requesting a one time payment on Zillow. 

It's not bad for a 1st house hack. You'll also want a system like stessa.com(comes free with BP membership). Stessa can help you track automatically all income, expenses by integrating with your bank account, credit cards used for the househack. You can then press one button to export all tax documents at the end of the year. 

Make sure you create a separate bank account for your rent collection. Don't mix it with your personal bank account. 

should this be a sole prop business checking account? or just a secondary personal account?