Best Business Entity to Create when House Hacking

Best Business Entity to Create when House Hacking

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

I recently purchased my first two-family house where I am occupying one unit and inherited a tenant in the other unit. I believe it's in my best interest to create a business entity (LLC, sole proprietorship, etc.) for tax advantages as well as limiting liability. What are the pros and cons of each type of business entity for my house hacking situation, and what do you think is the best overall entity to form in my case? Also is there a specific type of bank account that is better to open up for the purpose of collecting rent and tracking expenses?

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    4y

    @Tim Cadieux

    LLC does nothing for taxes - it's a pass-through entity.

    No reason to do a LLC - just get a good insurance policy

    Quick question I ask people: if the tenant sues who do they sue?

    Answer the owner and the property manager.

    Who is the property manager on a house hack?

    7e investments53 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.