AirDNA vs what AirBNB actually shows

AirDNA vs what AirBNB actually shows

Member since 2021 · 217 posts · 190 votes

So, I'm certainly not a power user or expert on AirDNA- but, when I pick a location and it's telling me what the daily rate is, and I go to AirBnB and look up what is really being listed in the area, AirDNA is just way off. AirDNA is projecting way to high of daily rates, from what I'm seeing.

I'll give you an example. San Pedro CA. AirDNA would have you has $238 as the daily rate. AirBnB tells a different story. As in, $100 a night less different. 

If what is't doing is simply averaging out all the listings, thats about as usefull as telling me the average income of people at a wedding that included Waren Buffet as a guest. 

So my question- how useful is the rest of the data it's supposedly gathering? 

Asking because I'm hearing more an more people relying on AirDNA data for purchasing. And they don't seem to be asking these questions. 

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
3y

First, make sure the listing you are looking at doesn't have anything special attached to it (I.E. discounts and things). 

The way Airdna gets their data is vis a scrub, they take the last known price for a date that goes unavailable and assumes that means it booked at that price. Obviously, this helps them compile a massive amount of data for a market (which is certainly helpful), but on a specific property basis not as accurate. 

If you want something better try Pricelabs as they get their data directly from property managers. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y

    First, make sure the listing you are looking at doesn't have anything special attached to it (I.E. discounts and things). 

    The way Airdna gets their data is vis a scrub, they take the last known price for a date that goes unavailable and assumes that means it booked at that price. Obviously, this helps them compile a massive amount of data for a market (which is certainly helpful), but on a specific property basis not as accurate. 

    If you want something better try Pricelabs as they get their data directly from property managers. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    So, I'm certainly not a power user or expert on AirDNA- but, when I pick a location and it's telling me what the daily rate is, and I go to AirBnB and look up what is really being listed in the area, AirDNA is just way off. AirDNA is projecting way to high of daily rates, from what I'm seeing.

    I'll give you an example. San Pedro CA. AirDNA would have you has $238 as the daily rate. AirBnB tells a different story. As in, $100 a night less different. 

    If what is't doing is simply averaging out all the listings, thats about as usefull as telling me the average income of people at a wedding that included Waren Buffet as a guest. 

    So my question- how useful is the rest of the data it's supposedly gathering? 

    Asking because I'm hearing more an more people relying on AirDNA data for purchasing. And they don't seem to be asking these questions. 


     This is the problem where you get secondary data from second hand data provider. I never believe Airdna "methodology" is accurate.

    Data is there from Airbnb itself ; and Airbnb already announced that their ADR in US is only hundred fifty bucks LOL. 
     
    Let me ask you, if you book a hotel do you book from hotels.com or some travel agent that may jack up the price ?

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    So, I'm certainly not a power user or expert on AirDNA- but, when I pick a location and it's telling me what the daily rate is, and I go to AirBnB and look up what is really being listed in the area, AirDNA is just way off. AirDNA is projecting way to high of daily rates, from what I'm seeing.

    I'll give you an example. San Pedro CA. AirDNA would have you has $238 as the daily rate. AirBnB tells a different story. As in, $100 a night less different. 

    If what is't doing is simply averaging out all the listings, thats about as usefull as telling me the average income of people at a wedding that included Waren Buffet as a guest. 

    So my question- how useful is the rest of the data it's supposedly gathering? 

    Asking because I'm hearing more an more people relying on AirDNA data for purchasing. And they don't seem to be asking these questions. 

    If I remember correctly, someone said one includes cleaning fees and all other fees in their data and the other one doesn't.
  • Member since 2021 · 217 posts · 190 votes
    3y

    Looks like another tool that in the right hands, used the right way might have some kind of value- and will otherwise largely mislead inexperienced, hopeful would be investors. 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed - I don't really rely much on data aggregators like AirDNA or Zillow price suggestions or even Rentometer - they just pull the mean or average of last known transactions and extrapolate. 

    Better to just look at listings yourself near the property you're wanting to rent out and take it from there. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.