Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Ask About A Real Estate Company

User Stats

Votes
Sid Miller
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Duncan Wierman

Sid Miller
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Aug 24 2013, 00:25

Has anyone worked with Duncan Wierman as a student or partner in a real estate deal?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Richard Young
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Sep 3 2014, 18:24

Hi Sid-

I signed up as a student of Duncan Wierman's RE investing course known as 

Duncan Wierman's Platinum Virtual Investing and Marketing System

.  I did not find value in it and stopped about halfway through. He would not honor any refunds.  I also would not recommend spending money on this course (about $1500) as you can get most if not more information from bigger pockets.  It is a typical RE guru type of program where he pushes information on various RE strategies and steps to follow in automated emails.  He then attempted various upsells on having you spend more money on more private coaching, etc.  The biggest red flag:  When I asked Duncan how much actual RE investing he was doing at the time from the training he provided, he said he wasn't doing any and was focused on different investments.  I should have walked away at this point.   I am not someone who typically goes through the trouble of discrediting any service or program publicly, however I did feel like this was a waste of money for me and want to make sure that others are aware of my experience.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Duncan Wierman
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Replied Jun 15 2015, 07:47

Rich

If you returned the product in the time frame required, than all product are gladly refunded. You kept your monthly subscription for 10months, so I find it odd if you found no value in my course why did you not ask for a refund within 30 days?

I also NEVER said I am not doing real estate investing..  I do more deals than I speak per month.  Maybe you misheard and I said I was doing more Multifamily Investing

Duncan Wierman

Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Mingione
  • Lambertville, MI
Votes |
  • Lambertville, MI
Replied Feb 1 2016, 18:39

This is another GURU scam.

I challange Duncan to come to Toledo Ohio & buy a commercial property/ apartment building with no skin in the game. I'll kiss his a$$.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Jerry Beckhan
  • Huntersville, NC
Votes |
  • Huntersville, NC
Replied Jul 14 2016, 13:24

Duncan Wierman is a sleazebag. He has never ever bought nor sold a piece of property in his life. His office address leads to a antique store in SC. If he even knows a Closing attorney that can verify a successful closing that he has done, I will also kiss is a$$. His reputation follows his not only look but, his lies and deception. I have not only seen numerous negative information on this scum, i have attended his low ball meeting that he holds at a either Jack In the Box or Motel 6 or Super 8 hotel conf room and leads NOWHERE. His back ground is a marketer only. He is a typical reflection of James Harris of Trump University scam look him up. Duncan Wierman in a notorious liar, and a FRAUD. He attempts to do business with the real guys in the business, and if they refuse to be associated with his name, he then goes on the internet to attempt to smear their names like he did on his so-called black list. ALL SCAMS.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Duncan Wierman
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Replied Jun 16 2017, 12:46

Jerry, I have never done any business with you nor do I know you.  I do not have an address that is an antique store? Please state what lies and deception you are referring to.   I have way more positive reviews then the few negative ones.  Any negative review received is due to people who do not work the strategies to generate leads I give them. I challenge you to show me you did my 30 day plan.  I show real life examples of how to get leads galore. 

I do not associate myself with other gurus in the industry, because I have integrity. 

I understand that people who are successful in life are always blaming someone else. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Duncan Wierman
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Replied Jun 16 2017, 12:48
Originally posted by @Steven Mingione:

This is another GURU scam.

I challange Duncan to come to Toledo Ohio & buy a commercial property/ apartment building with no skin in the game. I'll kiss his a$$.

@Sid 

I never said you can buy Multifamily without skin in the game. There is nowhere you can do that.  You however can combine your funds and private money funds to minimize your investment.  

But feel free to kiss my ***. I made my  money in real estate. Sorry you are stuck in Toledo. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Dan Schwartz
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Jun 16 2017, 13:14

Whichever program Duncan brought to AZREIA in 2014 seemed more marketing- and lead-gen focused. I signed up, and employed it with some success in a non-real estate application I had at the time.

I remember Duncan following through on his support promises, including extensive post-purchase consultation, and his refund policy seemed very clear. In one year, the purchaser had to do a certain number of actions (120?), and if they could document follow-through with a lack of success, they'd get a refund. It seemed very fair, because it gave an out for "this didn't work," not "I never got around to trying it."

My only regret was staying subscribed after my project ended, because I thought I might switch back to a real estate marketing project. I didn't make that switch and ultimately cancelled the then-unneeded subscription.

One of the reasons I signed on was that he seemed decidedly "un-guru-ey." Very little hype; LOTS of knowledge in the training, even before being asked to buy the system. But maybe this was a different product than the others are speaking of.

I can't speak to how well the system works within real estate, because I didn't use it that way. But as my experience seems very different from the ones above, I only thought it fair to post this.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hoey
  • Investor
  • Lombard, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lombard, IL
Replied Sep 17 2017, 21:33

I just heard Duncan speak at CCIA( Chicago Creative Investing Association) this evening.  I thought it was a typical sell for a "system"( where they come across as " You don't have the time to figure it out so we do it for you")- this time for how to use your rental as a investment for AirB&B-and it was interesting that Jane Garvey, who is president of the association, had insisted Duncan include a 30 Day money back guarantee in his slide show. Now, he could have just SAID it included a guarantee but he made a point that " she asked me to include that", and he seem annoyed but played it off as a joke. Hmmm? Anyway I called my wife when I left and said" I seen this guy before somewhere, I can't remember". But then I remembered it was some other "system" for lead generation. I read a few blogs and looked up his name and it was for his "Platinum Strategy Investment and Marketing System"( there's that word again). I knew I seen him somewhere before....

As for lead generation I think all the methods( there's a word I like better, method) for getting leads are great: bandit signs, a sign on your car, a sign at your work, business cards, direct mail, conversations with people who seen your sign, flyers, t-shirts with your logo, a handshake. Anything that shows your open for business: answering your phone, your emails, follow ups, engaging people and telling them what you do. I guess its a "system" but it's difficult to sell hard work and disappointments, no one is buying that. Right now I have a title problem with a hopeful rental and I have to send out two offers this week. But I love it! I used to work by the hour and that was hell for me. I'm not afraid to work hard. The process is difficult sometimes but I like the reward. I'm sure there's a lot of other Bigger Pockets readers out there who feel the same way. Real estate is part of a puzzle that sometimes fits together, and sometime it won't. I hope they never come up with a "system" for figuring everything out, all the time, it would take the fun out of it. And besides that, closing on a deal gives me a great sense of accomplishment. 

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Dave Ramirez
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ashburn, VA
Replied Sep 18 2017, 04:45

I still have my notes from when Duncan came to Traction REIA in northern Virginia. I had a question about something in the notes and called his line. He called me back directly and answered my question. He seems like a good guy and I know he would be a great real estate mentor.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Steve Fansler
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tucson, AZ
Replied Sep 19 2017, 10:32

I recently purchased his Platinum Investing and Marketing "System". I found it to be nothing more than a maze of information that requires lots of time to navigate. The one major red flag for me was his resistance to provide the names and contact information of any current "students" using his program. He finally gave me the name of an individual who does not use his program and confirmed it is not a "system" at all. Then he gave me the name of another person who revealed that she is his cousin. I am now in the process if trying to get him to honor his 30-day money back guarantee. I'll let you know if he has the strength of character to honor this promise.

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Duncan Wierman
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Charlotte NC
Replied Jan 22 2018, 20:34

Hi Steve,  
My course has tons of marketing to match any type of budget. I don't feel its hard to navigate, but there is plenty of different ways to set up for many different budgets.  

Yes, my family or cousin does use my system and they are doing extremely well.  Anyone can do well if they do the work. What I find is many people are not consistent with the marketing. They expect they do one thing ( and do it half ***) and expect great results. Marketing is about creating your brand, focusing on your niche, developing that messaging, deploying it every day, tracking it and retweaking it. 

I don't recall you doing any of the work as Iaid out.  Matter of fact, you never even took up the free second coaching call to review your actions in the first two weeks.  
I seem to remember you were complaining about spending a small amount of money to market. WHen you are too concerned over small amounts to generate leads rather than making dollars.. maybe you should be in another business??

Topic locked

User Stats

Votes
Toyin Dawodu
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Jun 14 2018, 08:27

Why do gurus offer a 30 day money back guarantee on information they know takes more than 30 days to implement?

Is it because they know 99.9% of the buyers will not read the information or implement the strategies within the guarantee period?

Why do students or would be investors pony up money when they know that they may or will definitely not implement the system within the guarantee period  or ever?

Why do students complain and cry foul when they have not even attempted to implement a system or strategies sold to them by the guru?

These are the questions I have when I read these threads.

I have bought and sold more than 560 houses. I still buy courses from some of the guru's. I have never bought from Duncan and I don't know him from Adam. 

With my experience, one would think I should know it all. But real estate is a complex business. Any strategy you know today, may change tomorrow and if an "expert" shows up to cut your learning curve in half, you should pony up the money and try to implement the strategy.

Most people buy programs but never use it, me included. Should we then blame the teacher or guru?

Topic locked
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.