Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
So I saw a post by @Stephen Dillard promoting his company(I'm pretty sure it was in an appropriate forum). I went to his website and to me, it screams 'scam' - it makes me very suspicious.
What is this kind of page called? is it typical to have marketing schtick like this to build a buyers list?
I am interested in Central PA, but anyone who tells me that they have a secret and that I should not ask questions( from the site: "This page is for VIP investors who close with cash, close fast, and don't ask questions" ).
Do all companies build their buyers lists with this type of hyped up nonsense?
I'm not saying the company is a scam - I'm just saying I'm totally turned off by the marketing.
I had the same problem with padeals.com - I want to believe its an opportunity - but the marketing is so intense and over the top, it pushes me away.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
Hello
I have not been here in awhile, I have been pretty busy selling discounted houses to investors.
.
.
.
I am closing my first deal on Tuesday coming up so that is great.
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
I guess I'm the first to ever use a sqeeze page built by internet marketers to build a list. Seriously though, I am going to take this feedback for what it is, constructive criticism....or else this is going to go on forever. I do have a couple of good deals on my site available in New Jersey and Philly, that's all. I certainly don't want to represent anything false.
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
13y
Originally posted by Stephen Dillard:
I guess I'm the first to ever use a sqeeze page built by internet marketers to build a list.
I think what everyone is saying is, there's nothing wrong with *starting* with a page built by someone else, but by not actually reading through the page and making changes where appropriate, it makes your operation seem amateur.
Yes, of course, there are hundreds if not thousands of people who probably started with this page. And 99% of them will never be successful long-term. By not reading and customizing the content for your site, it makes us believe that you're going to be part of that 99%.
If you want to set yourself apart from the 99%, I would suggest the following:
1. Read what you're putting out to your customers and customize it appropriately prior to putting it out there. First impressions last a lifetime, and any worthwhile potential customer that sees your current page is going to be turned off;
2. Come up with a set of company values or customer promises and promote those, as opposed to promoting ridiculous stuff like "don't ask questions" and "I have millions of deals";
3. Project an image that is not the same as all the other wholesalers out there, because you don't want to end up like all the other wholesalers out there.
It wouldn't surprise me if your current page was successful at capturing names; that said, it would surprise me if it were successful at capturing the names of any serious potential customers, which is what you should care about.
I hope that came off as constructive, as opposed to just critical...
Specialist · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 15 votes
13y
I do hear what you guys are saying and I really don't want to come out of the starting gate just like everyone else. Making my business stand apart and making it my own should definitely be at the top of my priorities.
I have followed your site for a long time J Scott and always though that the info you shared about what you were doing in your business invaluable. Because even though we start wholesaling, for me, it's about building capital to where I can invest and rehab my own properties.
I do appreciate all of the feedback and I apologize if I came off as ungrateful or argumentative. Most of you guys on here are my target customers and your opinions should be viewed as constructive if I'm at all serious about building my real estate business. This whole site is about learning and constantly changing and adapting. I certainly don't want to be viewed as part of the 99%