Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 22 votes
Hello All,
I am getting close to the point where I would like to rent out my current primary residence in Odenton, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. I'm shopping property managers anywhere from Baltimore to Annapolis to Columbia to DC. Does anyone have any full service property managers that they would recommend in that area? Any referrals would be greatly appreciated as a starting point in my search for the best company for my future rental.
Property Manager · Cumming, GA · Member since 2015 · 261 posts · 199 votes
10y
You can also go to narpm.org (The National Association of Residential Property Manager) to get started. I think you can search by zip code to find companies close to your property.
Hiring the right property management company is important for everyone involved. If you and your property manager aren't on the same page, it is miserable for you, the property management company, and the tenant. I've learned that not all of us are meant to work together so its better to find out before we do:)
Here is list of questions to help narrow down your search.
Once you have it narrowed down to 2 or 3, set up a time to visit the offices. Walking in the front door is the best way to gauge the professionalism of the company to determine if they are a good fit for you or not.
I came across a guide put out by Fannie Mae a few years ago that will also help you with your decisions. Its an easy read with lots of great information. You can also google it and should pop up.
Investor · Quincy, MA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 14 votes
10y
I use a company called Pioneer Enterprises, and so does my wife. They're okay. Sometimes, their response time is a little slow when communicating with the office, and I had an issue with them not collecting a late fee from a tenant (and accepting partial payments when I said they shouldn't), but other than that, they get stuff done.
I would consider self-management, however, I am moving half-way across the country. I've been looking at the blog, but I haven't seen the specific post you're talking about, could you point me in the right direction?
Pioneer Enterprises looks a little pricey, and their contract also seems to be a bit self-serving. On the other hand, it also looks like they don't play around when it comes to doing the job their paid to do. I'm going to try and find a manager a little closer to the property in Odenton if I can.