Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Ask About A Real Estate Company
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicole S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Avoid Northpoint Property management in Ohio!

Nicole S.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

I'm not THAT person that posts negative reviews. Generally, I believe that people try their best and mistakes happen, but this property management company has been nothing but a cost to me. I want you to avoid the same fate. I won't go in to all of the details, but suffice it to say that they have cost me thousands and thousands of dollars due to under management. Their under management cost me two events with VERY costly repairs and they did not stand behind their services. And, they are IMPOSSIBLE to get a response from. I have 5 doors under management there.... maybe I'm not important enough to them, but I pay them for a service and they are not standing by it.

There was a great property manager there that I finally found and things were great for a while. He moved on (and I followed him) and since then I have been unable to get any response from Northpoint. I have no idea what they've done with my money or the keys or.... I have tried multiple times to get a response, all the way up to the VP! Nothing.

Please don't fall in to the same trap as me. Avoid Northpoint.

User Stats

Votes
Alex Rehman
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

Hi Nicole,

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a negative experience with your property management company. It's understandable that you're frustrated and disappointed with the level of service you've received, especially considering the financial impact it has had on you.

It sounds like you've made several attempts to reach out to the company, including contacting the VP, but have not received a response. This is concerning and suggests that they may not be prioritizing their clients' needs.

Let me know if I can help you in any possible way to get rid of this dilemma.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I see you pulled up a previous post regarding this. My thought is take them to court. They’ll reply to a subpoena. 

I tried calling several PMs to request service and got no callback’s except for 2 (out of 8).

That ratio kinda put a bit of fear in me.

For the good PMs out there, please keep doing what you’re doing. We appreciate it, even if we’re not hiring you.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied
Quote from @Nicole S.:

I'm not THAT person that posts negative reviews. Generally, I believe that people try their best and mistakes happen, but this property management company has been nothing but a cost to me. I want you to avoid the same fate. I won't go in to all of the details, but suffice it to say that they have cost me thousands and thousands of dollars due to under management. Their under management cost me two events with VERY costly repairs and they did not stand behind their services. And, they are IMPOSSIBLE to get a response from. I have 5 doors under management there.... maybe I'm not important enough to them, but I pay them for a service and they are not standing by it.

There was a great property manager there that I finally found and things were great for a while. He moved on (and I followed him) and since then I have been unable to get any response from Northpoint. I have no idea what they've done with my money or the keys or.... I have tried multiple times to get a response, all the way up to the VP! Nothing.

Please don't fall in to the same trap as me. Avoid Northpoint.

I know them all, more than happy to recommend , 

User Stats

Votes
Replied

They did a similar thing with me. It's been over a year of trying to get my tenants deposit back. They responded to me after I posted a review on google. Turns out they paid the tenant his deposit back. This tenant works for them. As for the other tenant they can't explain what happened to her deposit. The ledgers they sent are some of the messiest I've ever seen.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I also have a terrible experience with the Columbus branch with Kurt Lehmkuhl, Kat Rosas and Gary Garrison.

The level of incompetence from this company is ASTOUNDING. If you are a landlord I would strongly recommend that you seek professional property management solutions elsewhere or fully be prepared to chase down your property managers for their services. Do not expect them to be proactive in their communication when it comes to renewing leases or anything else.

There have been 3 instances where accounting has messed up on my account resulting in more than or less than the normal amount being deposited into my bank account. I never received any explanation that would help me understand the why other than the property manager blaming new hires.

Another time Northpoint charged another homes repairs to my account/address which resulted in a $388 shortage to my account. When I sent a firm message demanding an answer the property manager completely freaked out and called me half crying about how she’s working to leave the company and some huge sob story that was totally unprofessional to ever tell a customer. However, this result basically ended up with me (the client) being transferred to a new property manager with the company. I do not appreciate basically being “fired” by my property manager because she was unable to handle firm and constructive feedback regarding the lack of HER communication and multiple mistakes by this company. I also believe part of my “firing” was due to the fact that on the phone with her she mentioned how the lease renewal fee paid to her was less than what it should have been due to entry error by the person who entered the contract.

I also received an invoice for $2700 for painting that was done TO ANOTHER HOUSE THATS NOT MINE! As well as received harassing emails asking why the invoice wasn’t paid. They were charging another homes repairs to my home and wasn’t caught until I threatened legal action.

I reached out to the new person who was managing my property to inquire about a lease renewal for my tenants and make it clear I needed to increase the rent to cover expense increases on the house. It was around 45 days out from the end of the lease term (June 30th) for my tenants per the lease they signed and I physically had to ask the status of my tenants receiving a lease renewal and not one, but two property managers have no idea if my tenants had been sent a lease renewal nor did the property managers make any attempt to reach out to me to check in and see what I wanted to do as the landlord with a lease renewal. I am highly irritated that I paid this company $99 a month to not communicate with me and lead me as they are the professionals.

It was 7 days PAST the lease expiration date per the signed lease for the tenants and I had no clue if my tenants had renewed or planned to move. I attempted to reach out to my property manager on 6/30 as per the lease expiration date in writing and he had a terrible attitude and told me I needed to wait until a certain date to have him reach out to the tenants. I spoke to the manager or whatever he is of Northpoint and he confirmed I was correct and the new manager was incorrect on the dates.

When they decided to move out I didn’t know they moved out until I noticed that my smart thermostat in the home was offline and AEP told me there was a disconnect scheduled. No telling what issues this could have caused if I didn’t know they moved out and there was no power to the home for a month. No one ever told me they did a walk through or anyone moved out.

Finally, I am ashamed and quite embarrassed that my tenants only received about 30 days notice that the rent was being increased and an option to renew at the new rate. I had nothing to do with this timing and this was out of my control.

Update: I am still waiting on $250 to be sent back to me from my maintenance account and I have received NO response to my question asking when I would see this money. At this point Northpoint is stealing from me and I do NOT appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Brittany Todd @Sara Portillo @Nicole S.

"I am highly irritated that I paid this company $99 a month to not communicate with me and lead me as they are the professionals."

So, what did you expect when you went with the cheapest property management company you could find? 

It's like buying a Yugo and then complaining it doesn't drive like a sports car.

You ALWAYS end up getting exactly what you PAID for!

Now, what will you learn from your experience?

User Stats

Votes
Alex Rehman
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied

@Brittany Todd sorry to hear about your bad experience. Let's connect. Just sent you a PM. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Brittany Todd:

I also have a terrible experience with the Columbus branch with Kurt Lehmkuhl, Kat Rosas and Gary Garrison.

The level of incompetence from this company is ASTOUNDING. If you are a landlord I would strongly recommend that you seek professional property management solutions elsewhere or fully be prepared to chase down your property managers for their services. Do not expect them to be proactive in their communication when it comes to renewing leases or anything else.

There have been 3 instances where accounting has messed up on my account resulting in more than or less than the normal amount being deposited into my bank account. I never received any explanation that would help me understand the why other than the property manager blaming new hires.

Another time Northpoint charged another homes repairs to my account/address which resulted in a $388 shortage to my account. When I sent a firm message demanding an answer the property manager completely freaked out and called me half crying about how she’s working to leave the company and some huge sob story that was totally unprofessional to ever tell a customer. However, this result basically ended up with me (the client) being transferred to a new property manager with the company. I do not appreciate basically being “fired” by my property manager because she was unable to handle firm and constructive feedback regarding the lack of HER communication and multiple mistakes by this company. I also believe part of my “firing” was due to the fact that on the phone with her she mentioned how the lease renewal fee paid to her was less than what it should have been due to entry error by the person who entered the contract.

I also received an invoice for $2700 for painting that was done TO ANOTHER HOUSE THATS NOT MINE! As well as received harassing emails asking why the invoice wasn’t paid. They were charging another homes repairs to my home and wasn’t caught until I threatened legal action.

I reached out to the new person who was managing my property to inquire about a lease renewal for my tenants and make it clear I needed to increase the rent to cover expense increases on the house. It was around 45 days out from the end of the lease term (June 30th) for my tenants per the lease they signed and I physically had to ask the status of my tenants receiving a lease renewal and not one, but two property managers have no idea if my tenants had been sent a lease renewal nor did the property managers make any attempt to reach out to me to check in and see what I wanted to do as the landlord with a lease renewal. I am highly irritated that I paid this company $99 a month to not communicate with me and lead me as they are the professionals.

It was 7 days PAST the lease expiration date per the signed lease for the tenants and I had no clue if my tenants had renewed or planned to move. I attempted to reach out to my property manager on 6/30 as per the lease expiration date in writing and he had a terrible attitude and told me I needed to wait until a certain date to have him reach out to the tenants. I spoke to the manager or whatever he is of Northpoint and he confirmed I was correct and the new manager was incorrect on the dates.

When they decided to move out I didn’t know they moved out until I noticed that my smart thermostat in the home was offline and AEP told me there was a disconnect scheduled. No telling what issues this could have caused if I didn’t know they moved out and there was no power to the home for a month. No one ever told me they did a walk through or anyone moved out.

Finally, I am ashamed and quite embarrassed that my tenants only received about 30 days notice that the rent was being increased and an option to renew at the new rate. I had nothing to do with this timing and this was out of my control.

Update: I am still waiting on $250 to be sent back to me from my maintenance account and I have received NO response to my question asking when I would see this money. At this point Northpoint is stealing from me and I do NOT appreciate it.

Hi Brittany, that sounds like an awful experience. You have to find a property manager whose investor friendly and is good with communication - that's a non-negotiable for me especially when I refer them to my clients here in Columbus Ohio. Happy to connect and send over my referrals for PM companies that will actually take care of you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Thanks for the post! Bad business that negatively impacts multiple peoples lives like that shouldn't go unnoticed, I'll definitely keep an eye out. Do you still have interest in owning more property in the Cleveland area?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

what are some Property management referrals?

User Stats

Votes
Replied

what are some Property management referrals?

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @Alex Rehman:

@Brittany Todd sorry to hear about your bad experience. Let's connect. Just sent you a PM. Thanks.

Hey Alex I hope you are doing well do you have any Property Management referrals in the Cleveland area? 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Alex Rehman
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied
Quote from @Joel Rivera:
Quote from @Alex Rehman:

Hey Alex I hope you are doing well do you have any Property Management referrals in the Cleveland area? 

Hi Joel, Let's connect.

User Stats

Votes
Cesar Garcia
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

Just saw this post and curious as to who you all decided to go with for our PM after the northpoint experience.   Alex I sent you a message.  Thank you.