Any Renovation Advice?

Any Renovation Advice?

New to Real Estate · Bryn Mawr · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 25 votes

Hey everyone, I’m super lucky and excited that I have my first property under contract. It’s a nice duplex that needs some renovations, but nothing more than new floors, paint, kitchens, and bathrooms. Since everyone here has so much experience, I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice for me as I go through this process? I have a fairly detailed budget and I’m working with a family friend contractor that’s helping me with everything. I'm going to sand and paint the current kitchen cabinets because they are in great shape and could save a lot on my budget by preserving the current ones. I plan on doing a neutral paint color like beige on all the walls, white trim & ceilings, and LVT everywhere on the main floor (except the living room). I was thinking I'd do carpet upstairs for the tenants comfort. My contractor advised against doing LVT on the stairs (said it just always looks bad) so it seems like I’ll put carpet there (didn't want to do this but there's no hardwood underneath the current carpet). The showers/bathtubs are a really odd blue color, but are in really good shape so I was leaning towards leaving them. I think a walk in shower would look much better, but obviously it would be a lot more expensive and it’s the only shower/ tub in the house so I’m not sure if tenants would want or need a tub in the house (especially if they have little kids). I plan on gutting the rest of the bathrooms and making them more modern than what's currently there. Any advice on these items or any other general advice as I renovate here I greatly appreciate!

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @AJ P. I’ll chime in with my personal opinion coming from owning B&Bs and now apartments. I would put the LVP in the bedrooms as well and then people can put down a rug if they want or have the ease and convenience of just a quick sweep and mop with the LVP. I have both hardwood and LVP in as many places as possible and everyone loves it because it stays so much easier. If the kids spill their drinks it doesn’t get ruined. If the dog sheds it’s not filthy. If you track in mud you just have to mop it etc.

    As for the lighting there are a lot of really great new options for LED fixtures that you might want to look into for the kitchen and bathroom. (Other rooms too I’m sure) The options may not be as attractive and appealing on a flip as we see them for our apartments but I know our tenants love having the $35/month electric bills once we get done installing the LED fixtures throughout all the units we rehab.

  • Member since 2022 · 36 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    As for the lighting there are a lot of really great new options for LED fixtures that you might want to look into for the kitchen and bathroom. (Other rooms too I’m sure) The options may not be as attractive and appealing on a flip as we see them for our apartments but I know our tenants love having the $35/month electric bills once we get done installing the LED fixtures throughout all the units we rehab.

    Have to disagree with this. LED "fixtures" are a high cost and high maintenance proposition. When the thing dies (which is not nearly as far in the future as you may think, LEDs have been getting cheaper and shorter in lifespan) you will have to replace the entire fixture.
    Light bulbs exist for a reason, there is no reason to replace a fixture because the lighting portion failed. Tenants can choose to replace light blubs with LEDs at their cost if it makes sense for them in a normal fixture. No reason to loose this cost from your profit.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.