New investor looking to start my portfolio

New investor looking to start my portfolio

Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes

Hey all,

My name is Tomas Nuno and I am 25 looking to begin my investing journey. I am excited to have found this platform and looking forward to network and learn as much as possible. I currently live in California but looking to invest out of state and a mentor/friend suggested I look in the upstate South Carolina areas such as Spartanburg, Greenville and Anderson. If you currently live or invest in any of those areas please reach out and I would love to discuss the  market with you. I know networking will be a huge part of my success and feel that the Bigger Pockets community will help tremendously.  

1Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 21 votes
3y

Welcome to BP Tomas, some helpful tip for investing out of state.

1) Join Facebook groups in that area so that you can learn about property structures and market trends in the area. Also, it would help to learn from other investors in those markets from Facebook post in those groups.

2) Look into creating your own lead pipeline with some systems and processes once you feel you know the area well enough. If you have a little bit of money you can start generating your own leads in that area once you become comfortable. 

Your mentor/friend is a great resource if they live in the area.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2022 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    Welcome to BP Tomas, some helpful tip for investing out of state.

    1) Join Facebook groups in that area so that you can learn about property structures and market trends in the area. Also, it would help to learn from other investors in those markets from Facebook post in those groups.

    2) Look into creating your own lead pipeline with some systems and processes once you feel you know the area well enough. If you have a little bit of money you can start generating your own leads in that area once you become comfortable. 

    Your mentor/friend is a great resource if they live in the area.

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the info John. I’ll definitely look up some FB groups to join and connect with. 

  • Arn CenedellaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2008 · 786 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Tomas Nuno

    Your friends are correct. Greenville Spartanburg is a great market. 
    I moved to Greenville 8 years from San Carlos, CA.

    I am a very active investor and broker in the area. I own several single family and small multifamily rental properties in Greenville and Spartanburg. In addition, I own 3 apartment buildings totaling 354 units.

    My focus is on MF but happy to partner with other investors in the Upstate.

    Let’s connect and see how we can help each other.

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    @Arn Cenedella, 

    Thank you for the reassurance, it’s great to meet an active investor in the area. I would definitely like to connect and talk more, I will send you an email. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 198 posts · 105 votes
    3y
    Hi Tomas! Congrats on getting into investing! I'm an active investor and investor friendly agent here in Greenville. I have been hosting monthly investor meetups for the last 6-7 years. Shoot me a message, would love to connect and introduce you to Greenville.
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    There is a very active Real Estate Association here in Greenville that provides education as well as networking.

    Check out UpstateCreia.

  • Virtual Assistant · 1850 Lee Rd Ste 347 Winter Park Florida, 32789 · Member since 2023 · 45 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Hi Tomas, Congratulations on taking the first step in your investing journey! I currently don't live in the Upstate South Carolina areas you mentioned. The Bigger Pockets community is a great resource for networking and learning about different markets. I suggest reaching out to other members in that area to see if they can offer any insights or advice. I know a company who can do real estate coaching feel free to message me, again best of luck on your investing journey!

  • Investor · Jasper, GA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    Welcome to the group! If you are looking for STR opportunities with a little more cashflow, checkout Myrtle Beach, SC

  • Austin Grant McDowellBusiness Member
    Realtor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 43 votes
    3y

    Hey @Tomas Nuno and welcome! I currently live, work, and invest in the Spartanburg/Greenville area and would have to agree with the posts above regarding the investments as well as the groups that have been formed to be able to succeed in the area. Please let me know if you ever need anything or have any questions! 

    McDowell Real Estate Team4.943 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Thank you John, I'll be sure to check it out. 

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Thank you, I'll check it out thanks Chris!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tomas Nuno:

    Hey all,

    My name is Tomas Nuno and I am 25 looking to begin my investing journey. I am excited to have found this platform and looking forward to network and learn as much as possible. I currently live in California but looking to invest out of state and a mentor/friend suggested I look in the upstate South Carolina areas such as Spartanburg, Greenville and Anderson. If you currently live or invest in any of those areas please reach out and I would love to discuss the  market with you. I know networking will be a huge part of my success and feel that the Bigger Pockets community will help tremendously.  

     Tell people what it is you bring to the table. Are you wanting to partner financially? Do you have money if so how much?  Are you wanting to find deals for others and make a fee?  Show your value :) 

     BTW I was in Ashville at the Biltmore for Christmas suer nice, I live in Murrels Inlet 

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Thank you Bob for the advice. Definitely good insight when building partnerships. Do you also invest in SC?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Piedmont, SC · Member since 2018 · 119 posts · 50 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tomas Nuno:

    Thank you Bob for the advice. Definitely good insight when building partnerships. Do you also invest in SC?

    Hey @Tomas Nuno  I live and invest in the upstate.  Are you looking to flip, do rentals, Airbnb? You should try to pick a path to focus on because there are so many ways to invest in real estate. I focus on rentals and flips. I have some single family,small multi and a small mobile home park. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. If you ever have time take a vacation to upstate sc. it’s a great area with a lot of great people. Also helps to understand the area you want to invest in. Good luck  

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    Looking to do rentals long term and mostly looking for SFH. Where in upstate SC do you have rentals? Yes, definitely looking to come visit the area when I have a chance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.