Buying my first rental property at age 21

Buying my first rental property at age 21

Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi, my name is John and I'm a local from Flagstaff, Arizona! It's always been my goal to be financially stable and over the last year I've gotten really serious about investing in real estate. My plan is to invest in a rental property, with a partner, within the next year. Below I have described our situation and basic plans. It would be incredibly helpful to receive any advice or insight!

I am currently 21 years old and taking time off of college and working full time as a server. As a server I am making about $40k-55K a year, $3-5k a month, and my partner (23), who has a salary of $60k/year plus bonus. The past 8 months we have been researching and working together, spending many hours, to develop a business plan and purchase a rental property.  We both have an average credit score of about 750 and no debt. Each month we save about $1-3K collectively to put towards a property. Currently the total amount of cash we have specifically to spend on a property is $24,000, with a targeted goal of $30-50K (accounting for down pay, closing cost, emergency fund, etc.) Recently we met up with a LO who pre-pre-approved us for a loan. Basically, looked at all our information to give us a ballpark number and that we would be looking at a loan approval of $500k-600k. We have narrowed down our target property to be a single-family home with 3-4 bedrooms in the $430-600k price range as well as searching for a property in Flagstaff, especially after seeing how well Airbnb's do here. I do plan to live in one of the rooms to be able to qualify for certain rates/ down payment since we are both first time home buyers. Being young and flexible we are open to whatever works best for our situation.

According to where my partner and I are at, and with the market being what it is now, I would love to hear any recommendations, opinions, advice, etc.

All help is greatly appreciated!

1Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    So your plan is for you and your partner will live in one room and rent the other 2 rooms individually as STRs? Are you intending to live there only to satisfy your OO loan requirement? Or is this a permanent house hack strategy?
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    If necessary, yes, split the one room or I live in it by myself. The plan is to have the property long term but only live there short term to satisfy the loan.

  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    4y

    Hey @John Leeds

    Congrats on your ambition!

    You should check out the book I wrote (published by Bigger Pockets) as it's perfect for you: First to a Million.

    In addition, DM me if you are interested in an online community of young, like-minded individuals.

    Best of luck to you! Dan

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Thank you @Dan Sheeks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.