Starting a Rental Property Business in Ontario

Starting a Rental Property Business in Ontario

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hey all! 


I am planning to start a business with a business partner of mine in the next year once we have saved up enough capital for a down payment. We are looking into buying out first property with the goal of house hacking (open to other opinions). We will live in a separate apartment in the building and rent the remaining space out. 

We are currently trying to figure out the best way to position our business as the goal is to keep buying properties as time goes on. We initially thought about opening a corporation but then we would not qualify for the lower down payment with CMHC Insurance. Does anyone have some guidance or information on how to start out in the business? Would love to hear as many opinions as possible as we are new to the business and have limited knowledge further than a minor from university in real estate and an internships in property management.


We are also looking for lawyers, accountants, contractors and agents (specializing in income properties) based in Ontario.

Thank you!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
5y

For accountant:  George Dube from Kitchener handles all kinds of landlord's taxes.  

For Real Estate:  Let me know what area of Ontario and I will refer 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    5y

    For accountant:  George Dube from Kitchener handles all kinds of landlord's taxes.  

    For Real Estate:  Let me know what area of Ontario and I will refer 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y
    Originally posted by @Roy Cleeves:

    For accountant:  George Dube from Kitchener handles all kinds of landlord's taxes.  

    For Real Estate:  Let me know what area of Ontario and I will refer 

    Thank you for this ! We are looking in any university areas including Kitchener, Guelph, Waterloo, Hamilton or London (maybe). Open to some parts of the GTA but they may be out of budget range at the moment.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kitchener, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 687 posts · 370 votes
    5y

    My area is KW and Guelph.  I have another team in Burlington that does Hamilton.  And I can refer you to a great London agent when you are ready.  

  • Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
    5y

    Hey @Brandon Wood I own three properties in Ontario. I own them in my personal name. Putting them in a corporation is a challenge from the lending side too. Many lenders do not like lending into entities thus limiting your options. If there are two of you doing this I would find a way for each of you to buy your own primary residence with the lower downpayment amount. This may not be an option but on your second deal you will need a 20% down if you can't find a work around here.  

    Good Luck!

  • Specialist · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2016 · 315 posts · 145 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Wood I would suggest you look into OPM and VTB (Other people's Money and Vender Take Back). Both of these will allow you to use a corp and little down payment. Good luck

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thank you all for your help and Input !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.