Expectations of your Property Manager to Address Maintenance

Expectations of your Property Manager to Address Maintenance

Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes

What are your expectations of your property manager from a maintenance perspective?

We are currently trying a PM out for the first time and we've given them a triplex to manage. As a landlord, I tend to react very quickly to maintenance requests if they are urgent. If I get an urgent request at 10 PM (i.e. heat is out in winter, water pipe breaks, etc.), then I'm there within an hour to address the problem.

In the past 5 months, there have been 2 instances where a tenant called the PM with an emergency maintenance request. In the first instance, the basement unit tenant's apartment flooded due to a severe rain storm. The PM notified me the day after the call-in and took another day to go to the property and start cleaning up. They likely would have waited another day, but I told them that they needed to get there the second day.

In the second instance, a tenant called at 7:00 PM on Friday with an emergency request that the heat went out on a cold evening. The PM did not respond that evening, so around 10:00 PM, the tenant contacted me directly and asked for assistance. I followed up with the PM and the Maintenance Manager at 10:00 on their cell phones and I did not hear anything back from them until the following day.

Are these response times typical of your experience with PMs? If not, what timeline matches your expectations?

The PM contracts with a general contractor who, in addition to doing their own work, acts as the maintenance manager for the PM. Is this type of arrangement, where management of all general maintenance is farmed out to a contractor a typical arrangement that you have seen?

Thanks for your time,

Brian

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

@Brian M. this sounds fishy to me. If you have a true emergency like loss of heat then you definitely should be responding pretty quickly even after hours. For routine maintenance issues I can understand not responding for sure. I believe with a PM that the mantra hire slowly/fire quickly makes a lot of sense. Your goal here is to outsource the late night calls, not manage someone else on how to respond. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Brian M. this sounds fishy to me. If you have a true emergency like loss of heat then you definitely should be responding pretty quickly even after hours. For routine maintenance issues I can understand not responding for sure. I believe with a PM that the mantra hire slowly/fire quickly makes a lot of sense. Your goal here is to outsource the late night calls, not manage someone else on how to respond. 

  • Property Manager · Chicago · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Brian M. If this is a professional mgmt company, they should have an after-hours emergency protocol, which is typically a separate number from the PM’s direct line. Maybe your tenants are not going through the proper protocol for emergencies? If something like that is not in place then the PM should definitely have a response time of 1-2 hours. The way these emergency calls where handled wouldn’t be acceptable. Even if they couldn’t send an HVAC tech until the following morning, there should be communication between the PM and resident.

  • Tracy StreichPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tulsa- OKC Oklahoma · Member since 2017 · 868 posts · 801 votes
    5y

    Several problems here.   I think you should ask them for their list of emergencies.   We have a list that our staff, owners and tenants know.   This is the list of emergencies and we roll out immediately for these  Otherwise it waits until the next business day.   A professional PM company should have someone answering or at least checking messages on an emergency line after hours.   Lastly,  why does the tenant have your contact info.   If they can contact you direct, why have a PM?   Your answer might be for situations just like this.   However, I think you just need a better PM.  

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @John Warren. @Jazmin Carranza, @Tracy Streich - Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm glad that there is some consensus on the issues we have been observing. I'll need to think over how we proceed from here. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.