Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Shower Curtain or Shower Door

Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Posted Apr 15 2024, 12:04

Apologies if this is redundant. I tried to find an answer posted already but didn't see one.

Do you install tub/shower doors or just go with rods/curtains?

I don't mind installing a shower door for a bathroom remodel, but wanted to get input.  All of the units had curtains, not doors, when I bought them.  This does not appear to be an issue for the tenants or the property maintenance (ie, no calls about tiles, soft floors, rot, etc).  

My personal opinion is that a shower door is nicer, but wondering if that's going to create maintenance headaches later.  What do you do for your rentals?

My properties are typical mid-grade rentals in good neighborhoods (ie, not luxury apartments).  Do you find that tenants have much of a preference either way?

Thank you for your replies!

Dave

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Cook
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Portland, OR
Replied Apr 15 2024, 16:38

If you have a tub/shower combo I would consider 2 things. The first is, what is going to reduce possible water damage. The second is what looks better. Curtains are okay, but they tend to offer less protection depending on the tub design. Also, if the rod is mounted versus spring loaded that changes the look too. I hope this helps. 

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Apr 15 2024, 20:14

@Dave Kush  for tub shower combo a curtain is better, less expensive, less maintenance. If they break them it is less expensive to replace a rod then a door   For showers use a door but a high quality frameless shower door.    They are always going to put the curtain outside the curb so water gets on the floor if you use a curtain in a shower only setup. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Apr 16 2024, 08:59

My only concern with shower doors is that I've found that most tenants don't properly clean it as they are a bit harder to get into the tracks and everything so there may be a bit more mildew/soap scum build-up than what you would see with a curtain. 

User Stats

Votes
Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 11:10
Quote from @Alyssa Wright:

My only concern with shower doors is that I've found that most tenants don't properly clean it as they are a bit harder to get into the tracks and everything so there may be a bit more mildew/soap scum build-up than what you would see with a curtain. 

That was exactly my concern.  The ones I have in my home require cleaning and maintenance, and I have my doubts about people keeping up with it.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 11:10
Quote from @Nicholas Cook:

If you have a tub/shower combo I would consider 2 things. The first is, what is going to reduce possible water damage. The second is what looks better. Curtains are okay, but they tend to offer less protection depending on the tub design. Also, if the rod is mounted versus spring loaded that changes the look too. I hope this helps. 

Thank you!  Assuming the mounted rod has a better appearance?

User Stats

Votes
Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 11:11
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Dave Kush  for tub shower combo a curtain is better, less expensive, less maintenance. If they break them it is less expensive to replace a rod then a door   For showers use a door but a high quality frameless shower door.    They are always going to put the curtain outside the curb so water gets on the floor if you use a curtain in a shower only setup. 

That makes sense. It's a lot easier to see if the curtain is inside if there's a tub vs shower.  I have tub-shower combos.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 16 2024, 12:22

Similar to others, we have better luck with curtains/ rods. Most tenants don't have issues with keeping water in the shower/ tub area with a curtain and the cost is more efficient than doors and replacements of those doors with damages. Make sure your lease covers for tenant related damages. If they aren't able to figure out the curtain and it causes damages, repairs should be a tenant charge back!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Kush
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Frankfort, IL
Replied Apr 16 2024, 13:11

Thank you!