Few questions about angry callers from yellow letters

Few questions about angry callers from yellow letters

Member since 2011 · 27 posts · 0 votes

So I started sending out yellow letters to 60 day Lates. I decided to change it up a bit and start door knocking on my new list for the week. I went to about 40 houses today. I knocked on the doors, waited about 30 seconds and when there wouldn't be an answer I would leave a typical letter addressed to the home owner stating that I was interested in purchasing their home. What do you guys think about this strategy? I know it's an extremely competitive market - I saw a couple houses already had letters in their mailbox from other investors. It's my 3rd week doing it, so I'm going to give it a try for a couple more months.

The second question I have is about a call I received today. I'm used to the usual caller who is angry and wants me to stop sending them letters, and I will always comply (if they give me their address). I had one caller today who was absolutely livid that I sent a letter to his wife and after about a minute of him just screaming at me I hung up on him. He called back and said he would report me to the police, I would end up in prison, etc. I tried calming him down and asking his address so I could take him off the list but he wouldn't listen, which sucks because he's going to get another in the mail in about a month.

My question is, is there any way to better handle these angry callers? This caller didn't really scare me, but got me thinking if I should not be using a 2nd cell phone for my calls. As far as I know he can't find my info (I sure hope not) unless he gets the police involved (I doubt getting 2 letters in the mail would warrant a police investigation) but it got me thinking if I am better off just getting a pre paid phone or using a google voice number instead, just in case one guy actually is crazy enough to try to find me. As always, any advice from the BP community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y

i send all of my calls to a two minute infovoicemail ...things happen instantly.

1) callers leave a message if they want to sell
2) I don't waste time or argue with non sellers who are my future prospect
3) my phone system feeds into a text service to send monthly "I Buy Houses" texts
4) I don't mistakenly take callers off my marketing. When they decide to sell I want to be there
5) I can now run reports on my call volume as I collect caller info automatically.

If you want to hear my equity ivm call 8885021160 for mortgage latest 8889505489.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    When you reach out to offer someone help and then you get a call like you did you can only really do one thing and that is send them 5 times more mail !!!!!
    If he would have been a little more nicer about it and gave you the address thats one thing but when they are rude you have nothing to loose.

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    I don't know what your budget is like, but Kris Kirschner has a system set up to screen folks. You may consider using this service instead of fielding the calls yourself.

    Time is valuable and I never wanted to spend a lot of it on idiots like this. I never had a problem with calling folks back via my cell once they were screened by Kris's service.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    i send all of my calls to a two minute infovoicemail ...things happen instantly.

    1) callers leave a message if they want to sell
    2) I don't waste time or argue with non sellers who are my future prospect
    3) my phone system feeds into a text service to send monthly "I Buy Houses" texts
    4) I don't mistakenly take callers off my marketing. When they decide to sell I want to be there
    5) I can now run reports on my call volume as I collect caller info automatically.

    If you want to hear my equity ivm call 8885021160 for mortgage latest 8889505489.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 209 posts · 56 votes
    14y

    Curt,

    Can you please contact me. I tried to send you a PM but wasn't having much luck.

  • Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 17 votes
    14y

    Anthony, get a Google Voice #. It's free and forwards to any land/mobile # you would like. It also allows you to setup business hours so calls will go directly to VM during certain hours. You block certain incoming #s too.

    I give all my tenants a Google # instead of my personal one.

  • Homeowner · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2011 · 24 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    I'd have to agree withe Greg D.,

    I have a Google Voice # as well, it just makes life a little easier when taking care of business. The features are great once you get them down pact. Even when I make calls from my cell, I use my G-Voice number to call from. So no matter if I'm doing lead generation for my partner or handling my own calls for my business, that is the only number I use.

    Make it easy for your self...

  • Justin SilverioPro Member
    Developer · Andover, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    14y

    I've heard so many people talk about getting angry callers but for some reason I've only had polite callers. Even after I give them a price that is half their asking price. This is leading me to think that I'm not offering low enough. All that aside I think this is a case where I don't have as much competition as you and my mailers are new these homeowners. They are calling out of curiosity rather than anger.

    Most of these people are going through hard times and are going to naturally be stressed and/or angry. Try to show them that you are providing a service and just be polite. You can't control how they act but can control how you respond.

    Also, since you have a lot of competition, finding a way to distinguish yourself is critical. I have been getting good results with 5.5" x 8.5" pastel greeting cards.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.