Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Benn Maddox
  • Great Bend, KS
Votes |
Advice on investing in Storage Units

Benn Maddox
  • Great Bend, KS
Posted Dec 4 2017, 08:41

I have the opportunity to purchase 17 Storage units for $25,000, with a monthly income of $685, What pros and cons do you see with this type of investment? 

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Martel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Miami, FL
Replied Dec 4 2017, 09:15

Do you have any experience with storage units?

Do you have someone who can manage these for you? 

There are many pros and cons to every investment.

If this is your first investment into storage units, even though its only $25k. You still need to make sure you know what you're doing. And if you dont then bring someone into the deal who knows that they're doing. 

User Stats

Votes
Vlad Kolbas
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied Dec 5 2017, 06:04

Hi Benn, storage units have been a great investment for me and my business partner. We started in residential real estate and still own over 50 units but have ventured into self storage last year when we purchased an existing facility with 77 units in south east Nebraska to learn the business. Now we are developing and purchasing more facilities.

It's so much easier dealing with turn over than in residential, just sweep out the unit and re-rent. It's also easier to deal with delinquent tenants. While it's not a totally passive investment, neither is residential since there is always something somewhere that needs to be fixed. With self storage you mostly get calls if someone wants to move in or move out since there is really nothing that needs to be fixed regularly.

While you provided limited information, those numbers look attractive. You should investigate other self storage in the area to see their rates, occupancy levels, etc. and how they compare with this facility. Managing 17 units should be very simple, especially if you live fairly close.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mike H.
  • Manteno, IL
Votes |
  • Manteno, IL
Replied Dec 5 2017, 07:50

The numbers look great for sure. If you extrapolate, that would be like buying a 100k house and getting 2,800/mo in rent.  I'd take that all day long.

Here are some other questions:

1) Is the 685/mo the actual rent or the potential rent (i.e. if every single unit is rented).

2) Is there room for expansion at the current site?

3) What kind of expenses are there? Utilities? Taxes? Insurance?

4) The same as others have asked - who is going to manage these things for move in and move out? Do you have the flexibility in your job to meet with these people during the day? Or at least take their calls and schedule a meeting for nights and weekends?

5) Any rehab needed? 

6) What does the competition look like there locally?

Still, the numbers do look good - especially if you get a commercial loan and only have to come out of pocket 7,500.....

User Stats

Votes
Louie Masters
  • Fremont, NE
Votes |
  • Fremont, NE
Replied Dec 5 2017, 07:59

There is very little drawback in owning storage. Like one of the previous people said, sweep, clean, rerent. Great business to get into. I’m sure there is some additional costs involved. Utilities for example. Are you managing yourself? My family owns 1,000 units and they have an on-site Manager. I realize 17 units is much smaller but if your planning on managing yourself and your not 100% occupied, there is some nucance to owning this type of business.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Maloney
  • Gold Coast
Votes |
  • Gold Coast
Replied Oct 9 2018, 02:18

Looks like there are quite a lot of things that you'll need to consider since this is your very first venture into self storage. Honestly speaking, if it was me, I'd jump at the opportunity. To many, it might seem like managing those 17 units might be a walk in the park, but do take note that you will have to put some effort into making sure that those storage units are going to be rented out, and will keep being rented out. Even if the person selling you those units proclaims that they have long term renters already moved into these storage units, they may not stay forever. If these guys move out, can you afford the loss in income or even be able to find new renters on your own? Think carefully!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Meyers
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fishers, IN
Replied Nov 5 2018, 07:54

Hey Benn!

I realize that I'm replying from almost a year ago, but as Michael recently replied, this crossed my "inbox"...

So, how'd it work out for you?  Did you move forward?

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks!

Scott