Investing in landscaping for single family LTR

Investing in landscaping for single family LTR

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
I was listening to this episode of the BP podcast that discussed which renovations & improvements for flips and BRRRRs are the best to add value to a property. One of the items that was mentioned was landscaping and that 100% of the time this is something that is invested in. This was in the context of adding value when selling a property, and it got me thinking how this translates to LT rentals.

I have a 3/2 single family LT rental in a C class neighborhood in the Charlotte, NC metro area. My thinking is that as long as the yard looks like a yard and can function as a yard (ie. junk-free, has grass & dirt), then it doesn't make much sense to invest heavily into landscaping like re-sodding or other projects. For this specific property, my current assessment is that while there is definitely improvements that can be made to the landscaping, for the neighborhood it doesn't make much sense to invest in it.

Curious what others have experienced when it comes to attracting tenants in relation to investing in landscaping for LT rental properties.
2Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Wyatt WolffPro Member
Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 467 posts · 279 votes
2y

Keep it clean, maybe seed if it needs it (sod is expensive), and put in a few low maintenance bushes. Other than that, unless you want to do the landscaping periodically yourself or pay someone to, I'd keep it simple and functional. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kasey HardtBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2020 · 115 posts · 69 votes
    2y

    Hi Joe!  For my LTR I tried to keep landscaping simple.  If there is landscaping that requires upkeep, there is a chance the tenant will not want to do that and over time it can become an eyesore.  I try to have my rentals be weed free (properly remove any weeds), as I have seen some CRAZY weed yards, and simple/clean as possible.  Always make sure any landscaping requirements of the tenant are also laid out in the lease.  Hope this helps!

    Kasey Hardt with ROI Realty Partners527 Reviews
    View Page
  • Wyatt WolffPro Member
    Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 467 posts · 279 votes
    2y

    Keep it clean, maybe seed if it needs it (sod is expensive), and put in a few low maintenance bushes. Other than that, unless you want to do the landscaping periodically yourself or pay someone to, I'd keep it simple and functional. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 569 posts · 351 votes
    2y

    @joe, you are absolutely correct. For a C-class property, being junk-free and having grass is all that's needed. I let my tenants handle the landscaping for their own properties. Landscaping is mostly for A and B class properties.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    Appreciate all the responses here. Sounds like my thinking is inline with the broader consensus.

  • Member since 2024 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joe Christoff:

    Appreciate all the responses here. Sounds like my thinking is inline with the broader consensus.


     I've come to appreciate townhouses as rentals, specifically for the ease of yard maintenance.  I had a rental property with a gorgeous backyard in Charleston at one point, and it became problematic keeping up with it.  My vote is for small & simple yards, especially for rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.