Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate News & Current Events
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Wendell De Guzman
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Will the Real Estate Market Collapse in 2015?

Wendell De Guzman
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 29 2014, 11:12

Here's a provocative video...explaining we have a real estate bubble right now in 2014. When do you think this bubble will pop? Back in 2005 (after hurricane Katrina hit), I predicted a real estate collapse as well but I was mistaken by not predicting how severe it would be. My personal opinion is that we're also in another real estate bubble right now but as to when it will pop, no one knows.

What do you guys and gals think?

1. Do we have a real estate bubble right now?

2. When do you think it will pop if you say "YES" to the first question? and 

3. Are you going to do anything differently in 2015 vs. 2014? If so, what are your strategies to prepare for a real estate crash?

User Stats

Votes
Dean S.
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 21 2015, 15:07

Jose,

It's an interesting point you make. Check out this article on Curbed: 

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2015/05/every_single...

It shows that even at $15/hr, it's still going to be very difficulty to buy in LA. at that wage. 

Dean 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Gratt
  • Realtor
  • Ventura, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Ventura, CA
Replied May 22 2015, 10:14

We all know that REI is like a roller coaster. It is always moving up and down. The key is to have a strategy to ride out those ups and downs. Fix and Flips are good in the up side but buy and holds, (Multi's, commercial, notes...) are good on the down side if you are willing to ride it out. I know this is why a number investors don't last for too long. The ones that do last are always educating themselves. Just like that roller coaster you just hold on and brace yourself for what is coming next. Real Estate is one of those markets that even if it is going down and up over the short term it is always going up over the long term. This is why educating oneself is the greatest investment anyone can make and why BP will always be a vital part of this ride. It teaches us how to hold the hell on.

Adam

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!
Account Closed
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied May 24 2015, 08:16

Based on the 'house price index' data, if the recent housing bubble 2006, 2007 etc. is any reliable indicator, it appears the market is still in a sort of 'rebalancing or correction mode' to align with what seems to be the historical trend. 

User Stats

Votes
Wendell De Guzman
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied May 26 2015, 06:25
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

I'm trying to find a good B neighborhood to invest in, for multi families in Bakersfield, CA, and the asking prices for multis is high right now, which make cashflow hard to come by. I've seen some posts from Los Angeles investors saying they're buying with $0 cashflow and looking at the appreciation game only. SFR's are also high in my area. I don't want to be a slum lord, so we may sit this out until the market turns and buying opportunities abound.

In my mind, this has to turn soon, as energy prices are rising again, good paying jobs are hard to come by, and the oil industry is shedding people buy the thousands, which really affects our local market here.  I see tons of SFRs for sale, and not many are buying right now.  I fear we may be looking at another wave of foreclosures, which is bad for the community in some ways, but good for those of us ready to purchase screaming deals.  Thoughts?

I agree - I think for the multi-family space, we're in a bubble right now. Prices are absurd and cap rates are really low. For SFRs I think we're not in a bubble yet although in some markets like southern CA, we're probably there already.

I gave a toastmaster's speech in November 2005 warning of an impending real estate crash. I was wrong that I was 2.5 years early. So who knows when the multi-family bubble will pop. Maybe I am 2.5 years early again too. :-)