Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate News & Current Events
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Meade
Votes |
Selling my house and buying a multiunit

Sarah Meade
Posted Jul 3 2024, 05:52

Looking for advice on selling my home and buying a multiunit. I will potentially live in one of the units. What would the requirements be to buy a multiunit under a new business name and how do I continue to purchase more multiunits in the near future under that same business? I am new to this but I really need to start investing into my future and single family house for us isn't doing it. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 3 2024, 23:10

Are you looking to buy the MDU in the Hammon area? I have a great Chicago Relator contact who only works with RE investors - I can put you in touch if you want. You can buy a property as an LLC. Often times pro investors will create separate LLCs for each of the properties they buy to limit the risk.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jul 4 2024, 11:50

You will need 20-25% down and a commercial loan for the rest.

Most lenders will want to lend to an LLC with you personally guaranteeing the loan.

Typically, each MFR would be purchased under its own LLC, for liability purposes.

Each LLC would then also need its own bank accounts for collecting rents and paying expenses.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Jul 5 2024, 03:57

@Sarah Meade you definitely don't need to have a business to buy a small multiunit, especially if you plan to use a low-down payment loan. You would need an owner-occupied loan like a conventional 5% down mortgage. You cannot use a business to get one of these loans. 

What most people do in your scenario, is they sell the home and purchase a 2-4 unit. If they are able to get it turned around and making money (cash flow positive), they then grab another one using a low-down payment loan. This game lasts for a few years and you can buy a few buildings this way. 

This is a really significant strategy, because getting control of even two or three buildings can change the course of your financial future. Over a 20–30-year time horizon, this alone can change your net worth by a million dollars.

Forte Properties, Inc Logo