First single family buy and hold investment

First single family buy and hold investment

Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Nashville.

Purchase price: $288,500
Cash invested: $14,599

The house was built new and purchased as our first primary residence. After four years we moved to a new house and instead of selling turned this into our first investment property.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Nashville has always been a hot real estate market since I moved here in 2015. Because of that, I have been reading about the advantages of real estate investing. There was a brief lull in the market during the pandemic which allowed us to buy a new home under asking price and turn our old home into an investment property.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I've learned to take the time to do a detailed analysis concentrating on expenses and being conservative about the monthly income.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Only worked with the home builder. Worked with a realtor to buy the new property who got me in touch with a property management company and a lender that would allow us to buy the new house and turn the old one into an investment.

0Reply
30 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Congrats on becoming a landlord!

    1) How much will you rent it for?

    2) ROI?

    3) Did you refinance it before moving?

    4) Did you get a HELOC on prior house before moving, so you can tap into equity if emergency?

  • Lender · Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 338 votes
    5y

    Congrats @Steven Louis! Purchasing a primary and converting to a rental down the road is the most cost-effective way that I know of to build a real estate portfolio. This is my own personal strategy, at least while I'm more willing to move around every year or two. 

  • New to Real Estate · Nashville, TN · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    That is awesome to hear Steven! I am a Nashville native starting the education process of real estate investing. I look forward to hearing how it goes! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.