completed my first deal - high end SFR of all things!

completed my first deal - high end SFR of all things!

Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes

Hey BP community,
Proud to say I'm no longer a noob. After countless BP podcasts and browsing forums for a few years now, I finally took the plunge and bought my first property! This is intended to be a long term buy and hold. It's a 4/3 garden variety midcentury ranch in a very desirable area of north DFW where I grew up. I paid 475k 10% down with a traditional mortgage @ 2.75%. unrenovated comps are 400-550k. Not exactly a screaming deal, but what led me to shake off analysis paralysis and take the plunge was a combination of factors:

1. I wanted to leverage my W-2 and lock in a good interest rate.

2. Great neighborhood with few MLS listings as many transactions are off market. VERY few rentals so little competition

3. House had solid bones but was functionally obsolete and was languishing on the market

4. I was itching for a project and wanted to put all what I'd learned to use.

I closed on September 15 2020 and with the advice of a mentor, I GCed a complete gut job on the house to the studs. I also reconfigured most of the rooms to have an open floor plan. I really recommend RoomSketcher to do your floor plans. And the basic version is free. Framing alone took 4 weeks and involved LVL beam installation and reenforcing joists and rafters to accommodate the open floor plan. All new HVAC, insulation, electrical and plumbing including gas and sewer. Solid white oak floors, New bathrooms, new kitchen with custom shaker cabinets and high end appliances brought the total reno cost was about 135k and a TON of sweat equity on my part. I also did a few high end touches like wrapping the LVL beam in white oak, designing and building a custom feature wall with shelves and shiplap to fill up a large blank space. I even had to rebuild the fireplace so I had it done in a quirky twisted design just to be different. I reused the old kitchen cabinets and worktops in the garage which really spruced up the space. The entire project

 took about 3 months and house was finished mid December.

Here are the Numbers:
My PITI payment is $3050/mo. $860 of that is principle repayment so I would need to net at least $2250/mo to cash flow. However since I put in 135k in renovations and my house was literally the only renovated house for lease in a large and desirable area, I threw it up for rent at $3900/mo on Zillow just before the holidays to see what bites I would get. This was relatively high as the few rental comps in the neighborhood were between $2200 and $2800 for dark dingy unrenovated houses. I had about 70 views a day and even did a few showings.
On Jan 6th the very day I had professional photos taken to list on MLS, an agent who specialized in luxury rentals called and said she had a client who was very interested in the house. He was relocating from the northeast for work and was looking to move with his family. I met them at the house and after viewing he said "don't show me any more houses. This is it." He submitted the application for the full $3900/mo for a year lease and while I won't go into details, he was a stellar applicant with high salary and close to 800 credit score. I ran his application by my mentor and a couple other RE investors whose opinion I trust and they said go for it.

House is now leased and cash flowing 850/mo ($1700/mo if you count principle repayment) Cash invested was 45k down payment + 5k PMI + 135k in renovations for a total of 185k. Assuming I can keep it rented at that price, that equates to a respectable 11% cash-on-cash return per year. And that is not even considering appreciation. My RE journey is only starting and who knows what could happen keeping this house rented in future. I still ask myself why is everyone only flipping in this neighborhood and not renting out? Anyway I was blown away by how well my first deal went especially considering that it wasn't that great of a "deal" in the first place. My takeaway points are:

1. Sometimes it's a good strategy to get an OK deal in a great neighborhood 

2. Find a house that you can work with to make a great space. I looked at countless houses before this one spoke to me

3. It's good to be an area with little rental competition.

Here are some before and after photos. Comments welcome!

some before and after photos from the same vantage point

4Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 253 posts · 240 votes
5y

that level of rehab for 130k? I am extremely jelly. I've been quoted around that for gut jobs on 1400 sqft houses here in atlanta :(

Good work!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 253 posts · 240 votes
    5y

    that level of rehab for 130k? I am extremely jelly. I've been quoted around that for gut jobs on 1400 sqft houses here in atlanta :(

    Good work!

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    Thanks Duane! I did all the demo and painting myself as well as all the odd jobs so I'm sure it would have cost quite a bit more if I had hired out the whole rehab.

  • New to Real Estate · International · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Congratulations ! Looks like a great job and well done for completing your first deal ! 

  • Catheryn BarryPro Member
    Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Congratulations, it looks absolutely beautiful! 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Congrats! You did an awesome job.

  • Developer · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Michael, the house looks amazing and it's great to hear you got it rented at asking less than a month later.  I am just starting in my real estate investor journey and had a few questions.  Did you fund the down payment, holding and renovation costs yourself or did you use any private and/or hard money?  Are you planning on refinancing to get your money out and buy your next properties?   I'm in St. Petersburg, Fl (Tamp Bay Area) and I think there is some opportunities like this in my area.  Interested in hearing any insights you can share.  Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    Hi Drew! I actually funded everything myself but I did have a hard money person on standby in case my reno budget went crazy. I don't plan to refinance anytime soon since I paid 5k for the mortgage insurance to reduce the down payment to 10% and a refinance would make me start over. However once my equity position in the house exceeds 20% (in about 4-5 years) I plan to refinance to free up capital. Or sooner if I see another opportunity to get my next property. While I think high end houses are a great investment I would advise you to be careful if you are just starting out since you risk tying up lots of capital and the rental income often doesn't justify the high home prices. I did this primarily to diversify away from paper investments and to ride the appreciation wave. Cash flow is secondary. Good luck in Tampa!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Congratulations on your first deal @Michael W. McCord ! this is awesome!

  • New to Real Estate · DFW, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Stunning!  and I love the quirky character of the fireplace.  Just a fun touch. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.  You probably grabbed this just in time as if the market wasn't crazy enough in DFW during that time we both know it skyrocketed in Feb. 

    There are a few opportunities like this here in Southlake but the capital is where I am challenged.  Definitely looking forward to learning how to make these kind of opportunities happen.

  • Rental Property Investor · El Paso, TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 49 votes
    5y

    @Mel Stone definitely a capital intensive business which is why I saved up for 10 years before jumping in. Always deals to be found even in this red hot market but definitely harder without capital. Take your time and analyze deals and hopefully run into someone making things happen to whom you can bring value.

  • New to Real Estate · DFW, TX · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Thanks Michael!  You did great.  Patience and Persistence at it's finest!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Awesome brotha! Very inspired. I live in the DFW area and definitely want to do something like this as well. Congrats to you!

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    4y

    Impressive! Thanks for sharing Michael.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.