Pro input needed please

Pro input needed please

Member since 2010 · 10 posts · 0 votes

I have a sold a home I own on a land contract. The current contract is for 1,150,000 at 6.5% amortized 16 year with a 7 year balloon.

That results in payments of about 9500 a month to me.
Taxes on the home are about 25,000 per year

The buyer has been current on the payments but late on taxes.

The buyer would actually like to do more like a 15 year note and no balloon and have me carry the term. I am OK with that if needed.

I have about a 380k mortgage on the place. So it is a wrap basically. Yes I could pay that off if needed at some point but not what I want at the moment. My payment is about 2k per month.

The buyer is struggling on the taxes so I want to have him pay me the taxes as my bank now wants to escrow them and add to my payment. I am OK with that but it makes my payments more like 4k per month to include the escrow for taxes.

That would also make his payment an additional 2k on top of the 9500 per month. He will do that.

I have the opportunity to change the deal. is there a better way to structure it? How should I be looking at my note that I have with my bank, should I accelerate payments?

Any other thoughts?

He has been paying for 2.5 years. and leased it for 18 months before that. We communicate well and he has strong income and very much wants to stay in the home.

0Reply
16 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Have you had a recent appraisal on the property?? Why didn't you just sell this outright to someone who can get a regular loan if you have that much equity??

    If the person has been in the house 2.5 years what does there credit look like today?? I would put that money to work in other properties that will give you a much better return. Maybe the buyer can qualify for a regular loan today.

    The bank can call the wrap due anytime once they find out.

    How you had someone look at comps to see what the sold value of your house would be right now. Over 2 years ago was the worst part of the markets for most of the country.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.