Is this deal worth pursuing?

Is this deal worth pursuing?

Flipper/Rehabber · Marietta, GA · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hey guys, long time reader, first-time poster.

I'm pretty new to the real estate game and trying to overcome the analysis paralysis and make some moves.

A property just became available in the Atlanta area in the upcoming neighborhood of Woodstock. It's partially demoed and needs almost a full gut job. Estimated repairs are around $65k but that's probably on the high side and only determined from pictures. Going to look at the property this afternoon after work.

These are the numbers I've come up with and would greatly appreciate some feedback to ensure I'm on the right track. The list price is significantly too high. Other properties in the area that are not renovated are selling for about the same price, but they're in liveable condition. This property is not.

Before we get into the numbers, I do realize that BP has the calculator tool, which is very helpful. I just want to know how to do the numbers myself as well.

List price: $185k

Est repairs: $65k

ARV: $245k

I will probably be funding this deal with hard money and then using a private money gap funder.

Considering I would be paying 10-12% to the hard money lender and then 20-25% to the private lender, what is the best way to calculate the maximum purchase price I could pay for the property? 

Assuming an LTV of 70% from the hard money lender, they would loan me a max of $171,500, which, if that was my only lender, would only allow me about a $90-95k purchase price.

As an outside person, how would you analyze this deal?


Thanks in advance for any feedback!

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler, Rehabber and Landlord · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I would not analyze this deal. ITS NOT A DEAL. When you take the list price and add the repairs, you are over ARV. That is called a retail property. I would stop messing with this and get on to something that looks more like a deal. When you take the purchase price and the repairs that number should be about 70-75% or ARV.

  • Real Estate Broker · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    6y
    On the surface, @RickPozos is correct. Seller is overpricing the deal. On the other hand, your ARV might be low. Note that your strategy for a gap funder may not work unless your HML permits subordinate liens. But your gap funder may be willing to participate as a member of the entity you setup as a buyer. If you want to see what profitability you have on a deal send me a pm and I can calculate it all out for you as well as provide a lending terms sheet.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.