Are multi-family properties too expensive in my market?

Are multi-family properties too expensive in my market?

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys, I’m pretty new to real estate investing and just wanted to get some opinions.

In the next few months I want to either buy a place for myself or invest in a multi-family. I have the option to partner with my mother where we would both live in the 2 units and rent the other out for a triplex or live in just the two units if it’s a two unit property. My mother has the income to bear the brunt of the mortgage where I will have most of the down payment. Hopefully a tenant will help absorb some of the cost also.

My problem is that I feel like the market that we are interested in (center city Philadelphia) is way over priced for multi family units. For example, a 3 unit property down the corner from where I live is priced at 669K and would need a total renovation. The area is a desirable area to live in the city, but rents would only be ~1300 a month per unit. These numbers are pretty much the same for other good neighborhoods in center city, with more desirable neighborhoods commanding a higher asking price. I’m just wondering if it’s even worth entertaining the the thought. I feel like the numbers just don’t work, but being new I might be forgetting something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR is center city philly worth the investment?

0Reply
13 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Sem welcome to BP! Most markets are high priced these days especially MF. You might try to find something with more doors so you can get some economy of scale.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 369 votes
    7y

    If its $669K for 3 one bedroom / studio apartments that need a gut Reno, yes, thats a joke. I own a studio in Rittenhouse now that rents for $1,300/mo ... I value it around $230K. It all depends on the unit, the rents, and the Reno budget. The thing about Rittenhouse is that it is a very idiosyncratic market, block by block, unit by unit, layout by layout, without having detail, its hard to say

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad thanks for you’re input I really appreciate it!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Gregory Hiban Yes I agree whole heartedly. I found a duplex in graduate hospital for roughly the same price but a renovation would not be necessary. I guess my largest concern is if it’s a good investment investing in CC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.