House Hack Success in Clearwater, FL

House Hack Success in Clearwater, FL

Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes

Hello BP,

I'm now six months into my blended house hack (cash flow + appreciation, its a @Ben Leybovich thing).  Thought I would share our success so far and some before/after pictures.

We purchased our house in an up and coming Clearwater, FL neighborhood that is very close to the Pinellas trail (a great biking/walking trail that runs the length of our county and is a huge feature in our parts) and just 2 miles from booming downtown Dunedin, FL with tons of great restaurants, breweries, shops, and festivals.  We originally were looking in Dunedin but prices have appreciated so much there the last few years I got nervous about a bubble.  Anyway, we settled on our neighborhood due to it having many of the same great character as higher priced neighborhoods close by.  Did I mention we have a view of the water from the back patio and a kayak launch at the park across the street? :)

The house itself is an old house by Florida standards (1937 construction), but we prefer the character of older homes. Its had some renovations over the past few years but was painted horribly and staged even worse so it sat on the market for a while. Asking price started at $250k and we were able to watch some price drops and eventually negotiate a purchase of $215k with a further 2k concession after inspection. We took out a 3.5% down FHA loan with a 3.75% interest rate.

Aside from the potential in the neighborhood we were attracted to this particular house because of its attached in-law suite that would make a perfect short term rental.

After moving in the beginning of October we got started sprucing up the in-law.  In all we spent about 5k on renovations including new bathroom items, pulling up carpet and refinishing the original hardwoods, freshening the kitchen, installing a "shiplap" wall feature.  Another $1100 went into furnishings, decorations and odds and ends to make it an attractive AirBnB.

Our first week renting it was over Christmas.  Since then we have been booked pretty solid with only a few day gaps here and there.  So far we have $12k in bookings through August.  By the end of 2018 I'd estimate we will have closer to 18k.

Meanwhile we've gotten to live in the attached 4/2 house basically for free as monthly earnings have exceeded our $1417 PITI payment.

We've been making some improvements to our side of the house (some new windows, a/c ducting fix, new w/d, new dishwasher, lots of painting).  But these are things we'd be doing on any house we bought anyway, nice to know that our little unit is paying for it!

Redfin currently has our property valued at $248k.  Prices in the area continue to trend up and there are 7 townhouse units going up down the block and each is asking $375k.  Overall I'm bullish on the area and look forward to re-investing our rental earnings into more property in the next year.

Here are some before and afters of the in-law:

6Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 62 votes
8y

Hi @Bill Regan.  Congrats on your property!  That is an awesome story.  I rode to Dunedin this past weekend on the Pinellas Trail, so probably saw your house.  I'm currently renovating a 4th unit of a multifamily and planning to do short term rentals.  Are you solely using AirBnB for your reservations? 

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Haha you think you're pretty sexy, don't you @Bill Regan!

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Ben Leybovich I don't have nearly enough facial hair to be considered sexy by BP standards. 

    Thanks for writing the book on house hacking btw ;)

  • Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    Hi @Bill Regan.  Congrats on your property!  That is an awesome story.  I rode to Dunedin this past weekend on the Pinellas Trail, so probably saw your house.  I'm currently renovating a 4th unit of a multifamily and planning to do short term rentals.  Are you solely using AirBnB for your reservations? 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Renee Potoczny - yes, I only use AirBnB.  My wife works as a co-host for another BP member who has 10 units in Dunedin and they use VRBO as well.  But AirBnB provides the lion's share of their bookings.  It's also a better interface.

    Where is your 4 plex?

  • Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 62 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Bill Regan for the information!  The 4-plex is in Largo, by Taylor Park, between West Bay and Ulmerton.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 98 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Bill Regan ! Sounds like you really thought it through and bought close to areas that were appreciating. Very smart!

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Bill - I have recently bought a house somewhere near yours although mine might be a little more on the "wrong side of the tracks" at the moment. My strategy might be a little different but I do believe you are correct -  this area has a very serious future.

    I think access to the Pinellas Trail, Clearwater Beach and downtown (it can't suck forever right?) is going to bode well for this area. We're talking 33756 right?

    I know it's a little spotty in parts but there is no way it will stay like that for long. I can handle sketchy at the right price if I believe an area has a solid future. Biggest downside I see is that US 19 (Missouri Ave. is a real piece of crap). I'm certain you are West of it.

    Best of luck!

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Thanks Jeff.  I'm in 33755, north of Stevensons Creek, close to Alt. 19/Sunset Pt intersection.

    Downtown has to start hopping sometime, sooner than later I think.  You look at downtown Dunedin, St. Pete, Tampa, Safety Harbor, heck even Largo has some shops and restaurants going in...there's just one downtown core left to go.  Tom Cruise bought a penthouse condo there, that's got to mean something?

    Just saw that the big apartment complex that went in, The Nolen, sold to a new ownership group out of Orlando.  They are very big on downtown coming along and put their money up, something like 48M.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 92 votes
    8y

    Nice @Bill Regan! Quick question for you: are there any regulations on using AirBnb with an FHA loan? Sounds like you're living in the house but AirBnbing the in-law, so maybe that's alright?

    Cheers.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Hi Andre.  No regulations that I'm aware of.  It would be the same as an owner occupied duplex rental to them I imagine.  As long as you live there for one year you could move out and go on to another property.

  • New to Real Estate · Columbus, GA · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    That's great! Thanks for sharing! I am in the process of looking for my first home to house hack down here in the Tampa area. Hopefully I can follow in your footsteps 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Congrats, @Bill Regan! I remember seeing @Ben Leybovich speak at the SF Bay Area RE Summit last year and he talked about doing this exact same thing! It was like an "a-ha" moment! It's something that I'm looking forward to doing in the future.

    Clearwater is an awesome location. I know that in St. Pete, there's been issues with zoning with AirBnB/STR have you experienced or heard about anything about any zoning issues in Clearwater?

    KMG

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    @Gabriel Welch It's a great way to get started in REI, keep at it you'll find something!

    @Kevin Mathew Galang There have been some issues out on the beach where people rent houses out to party people and neighbors get annoyed.  Some neighborhood associations have problems with it.  I think ultimately there needs to be some commonplace legislation at the state level to make sure its not just people buying up houses to rent out like hotels willy-nilly, but also that its not infringing on an individual homeowner to rent out a room or apartment in their home.

    With some 40,000 AirBnBs in Florida generating 10s of millions of tax revenue I don't see how Florida can turn them down.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Bill Regan thanks for the motivation! What would you tell the newbie? 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 76 votes
    8y

    Thanks Eddie.  I'm not sure I'm well qualified to give advice with only a handful of deals in my history.  But, the main thing is to keep positive and keep looking.  Identify some areas you would like to invest in and get to know them well so when you see a property come available you'll know if it is a good deal or not.  Don't just look at all of Tampa, but focus in on a few neighborhoods and get to know them.  

    Thats how we found our place.  When we saw it come on the market knew it had tons of potential but had to wait out the seller making some price drops and then we came in with a rather low offer and finally settled at a price we could work with.

    I think house hacking is a great way to start investing, I've done it twice now.  My current place and right out of college in Albany, NY I bought a duplex.  Its valuable experience in renovations, landlording, and provides some great benefits (like offsetting your mortgage).

    There is nothing like empirical knowledge, so get out there and try.  The worst that happens is you fail, lose some money, but will learn a great deal.  Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.