Sacramento California Investing Opportunity

Sacramento California Investing Opportunity

Sacramento, CA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 9 votes

I've recently got a free opportunity from a family member to put a huge amount of money down on a property for me as long as my sister lives with me and we can pay for the mortgage together. I've decided to take this opportunity to turn this property into a rental. The market here in Sacramento is about 350-400k for a Duplex from what I've seen and my family member is willing to give me 120k for the down payment. I was planning on finding a duplex for about 350k, keep 15k for cash reserves, 5k for closing, and 100k down so I would only be financing about 250k give or take. When talking to my local mortgage broker at the bank, I was told it is about 450-475 in mortgage per every 100k financed so with 250k I would hopefully be looking at about 1187.5 for my mortgage. If I can find a 5B2B and live in one room with my sister, would it make sense to rent out to tenants by rooms. I have a couple of buddies who would be interested in living there. Average rent per room in Sacramento from what I've been paying is about 600-750. If I were to rent out the other 4 rooms for 500 or 600 each then I would have about 800 in cash flow. However this is excluding expenses, and thats where I am stuck. What is a good way calculate expenses and would something like this make any sense, especially in a market like California? Id appreciate any feedback good or bad! Thanks!

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    @Quang Tran Here is some information to help you with you sharpen your numbers:  

    I'd budget 2% for closing costs.

    This is a lender that can be very picky with qualifying, but you can check live rates as you wish and do not have to provide them any personal info. No hounding or selling. https://www.provident.com/QuickRatesCalculator

    Also, there is payment calculator at the bottom of individual properties on redfin.com that estimate the mortgage payment (based on whatever downpayment you enter), taxes and insurance, and will list monthly HOA costs (if any). Not bad for a ballpark monthly estimate.

    You can look up water, sewer, and storm drainage utility costs for the City of Sac here: https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Utilities/Service... County: http://www.sacutilities.org/Pages/default.aspx

    Take a look at craiglist-room share advertisements for what other listings are asking for.  This will give you a few data points for different areas.   Your estimated rents look conservative.

    Where are you seeing 5BD/2BA single families for $350K?  I'm seeing on a couple in South Sac... 

  • Attorney · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 300 posts · 172 votes
    8y

    What an awesome opportunity! It's great to hear when family supports your self-growth!

    I would leverage your great opportunity to purchase in the best neighborhood you can. Long-term, the return will outpace the initial perceived cash-flow due to higher rents, lower vacancy rates, and less in repairs due to the higher quality tenant. You're not going to want to live in this property forever, so try to manage the long term outlook with your short terms goals. Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.