First full year as a FULL TIME REAL ESTATE INVESTOR

First full year as a FULL TIME REAL ESTATE INVESTOR

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 23 votes

This is a little late, but I still wanted to post it anyways because it’s big for me. 2017 was my first full year as a full time real estate investor. I left my very safe salary job late in 2016 and made the leap and I consider my 2017 a great success.

Amie and I had done a couple fix and flips on the side over the previous couple of years, but this was the real thing…full time...no turning back. I ended the year doing 10 houses that were closed out and sold with 2 more that are under contract now. Some of them wholesales, some wholetails and a couple rehabs. It was a crazy year, that was filled with being outside my comfort zone and that’s a very good thing. I had never done a wholesale before, and then ended up with that being the majority of my deals. I bought a house for $10,000 and I bought a house for $410,000 with the rest somewhere in between.

I saw and learned so much about real estate investing over the last year, its crazy. I learned about wholesaling and how nice it can be to make a little bit off a deal and move on vs the time, risk and effort of the rehab. I also learned how much quicker a rehab can go when its being worked on by a general contractor and full crew instead of just me, Amie and a few friends on nights and weekends. I learned how important relationships are in this business, even in a city the size of St. Louis..it’s a small world. I still have so much to learn, but I’ve come a long way in the last year and I’m exited for 2018.

I was able to do all of this thanks to both Bigger Pockets. All of the training and team has been invaluable to Amie and I. It’s crazy how much being connected with this group has accelerated my business. At the end of last year, Amie even moved over to join the STL Real Estate brokerage and Affiliate Club. We’re already off to a great start in 2018 and I look forward to seeing what our numbers look like at the end of the year. My goal is to do 30 deals in 2018.

Good luck everybody with everything you have have going on. All I can say, is just go for it.

8Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

David OunanianBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 380 posts · 195 votes
8y

Congrats @Kory Hannah!  Very impressive start to your career!  As a new affiliate myself, I am super pumped about working alongside you and everyone at the brokerage!

CASHFLOW NATION535 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    How you getting funding for all of this?

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @Matt K. I work under an investment company/group called STL Real Estate.  We function through private lenders for most of our deals.  As a company, we bought just under 198 homes in 2017.

  • Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 181 votes
    8y

    Congrats Kory!! I couldn't be happier for you guys, I look forward to seeing how 2018 goes for you!

  • Investor · Andover, MA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Congrats....just hit my one year anniversary as well.  Lots of great lessons.  The key is just get out there and do it!  Cheers to 2018!

  • Peter MacKercherBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 567 votes
    8y

    @Kory Hannah Good job and well done!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Congrats keep grinding and keep growing!

  • David OunanianBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 380 posts · 195 votes
    8y

    Congrats @Kory Hannah!  Very impressive start to your career!  As a new affiliate myself, I am super pumped about working alongside you and everyone at the brokerage!

    CASHFLOW NATION535 Reviews
  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @David Ounanian We’re excited that you’re jumping on board! It’s pretty cool seeing familiar faces on here.  2018 is going to be an awesom year!

  • Investor · Bonita Springs, FL · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Congrats! Keep it up.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 69 votes
    8y
    That’s really awesome Kory Hannah for sure! Scary jump to do but sounds like a successful first year for sure. Love reading these stories on BP! Best to you man
  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Kory Hannah how were you finding trusted and reliable contractors. We’ve had a pretty rough time on that front. And how does the STL Real Estate Group work? I’ve seen the signs on properties around STL.
  • Summerville, SC · Member since 2018 · 553 posts · 252 votes
    8y
    Great job! Inspirational! I’m actually one year in to working part-time, with RE replacing a chunk of my working income. Good stuff!
  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Very, very cool! What was your income before (in your stable 9-5) and what was your income first year as full time real estate investor? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.