Closed on my first deal today! 6plex Fresno ca

Closed on my first deal today! 6plex Fresno ca

Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
Hello everyone, I have been silently reading and viewing all the great info BiggerPockets has to offer. I have been in the learning phase for the better part of a year now. I want to thank everyone for the great content that helped give me the confidence to take the plunge! I was able to find a good deal in Fresno California. 6 plex with 2 bed 2 bath units about 950 sq ft each. Once I get the 2 vacant units updated and rented it will cash flow $240 per unit. There is definitely room to increase rents and I will have equity from the start (especially when I make some of the improvements I have planned). I did a lot of research before selecting my real estate agent and I hit a home run, he is a rockstar! Once this property stabilizes I will be on the hunt for my next deal. Thinking about doing a flip next so I can build up enough capital to purchase another multi family with 5+ units. Thanks for viewing Jake
10Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
9y

@Jake Mchaley would love to go fishing sometime and invite you to my open office this year! I am selling some commercial property and inviting the whole bigger pockets crew!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Great job on the deal. Keep us posted with photos.

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2015 · 41 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Nice Job, Jake!!

    Would you mind sharing some numbers 

  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    we got the property for 390K.

    I used traditional financing on a 30 year.

    Most units are renting for $700 a month but the market can easily sustain $800 with these size units. 

    I will post pictures once I start in on some of the rehab.

    1 unit just needs carpet to be rent ready. 1 unit needs tenents evicted and full rehab. The other 4 are fully updated and in great shape. The exterior siding will be another project and I will be converting it to stucco. 

  • San Diego , CA · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    excellent job! can't wait to see some before and after pictures. Keep it up! 

  • Kevin StewardPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    that's awesome congrats on your deal best of luck to you Kevin Victorville Ca
  • BOISE, ID · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    @Jake Mchaley thanks for sharing!

  • Darryl PutnamPro Member
    Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Jake Mchaley congratulations on your purchase!  Fresno is a great area.  Thanks for sharing your numbers.  I look forward to the pics.  Best of luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bixby, OK · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Stucco is a great choice! Low maintenance and lasts forever!
  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Jake Mchaley Awesome thread! I am looking to hit a home run as well on a multi family!  I am looking in San Diego county so that one of the units can be a vacation unit to try to maximize cash flow.   If you were a cash buyer would you have gotten a better deal? Just curious seems like you did well! Can't wait to get my first set of keys!

  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Thank you! very good idea with the vacation rental unit!! Fresno isn't the most ideal vacation hot spot. For me all cash would kill my cash on cash return. You can get 2 good deals with loans and maximize your cash on cash return. Good debt will make you richer over time!

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Jake Mchaley would love to go fishing sometime and invite you to my open office this year! I am selling some commercial property and inviting the whole bigger pockets crew!

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jake Mchaley

    Congrats on your first deal!

    Great points you make regarding leverage as well.

  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I have had some interest on who my agent is, and I would be more than happy to recommend him. His name is Dustin Ilic with Newmark Grubb Pearson reality in Fresno. If you are interested in multi family in Fresno or any of the Central Valley cities he will be a great asset to you. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Fresno, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    Jake, 

    It was a pleasure working with you on this deal.  Thank you for the recommendation and I'm happy you are pleased.  Now let's go to Lunch and celebrate!

  • Investor · Santa Monica, CA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jake Mchaley! Ive been looking out in Fresno for commercial multi family as well! Congrats on your purchase! Mind if we connect to talk about the location and deal?

  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    yeah sounds good to me. What did you have in mind?

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Jake Mchaley hi jake I just returned home from looking at properties around locally I and man I saw some old beat houses with some price tags straight out of Malibu! I am looking at once house it's totally condemned not even liveable and the asking is 200k. I am like the land is not even worth 100k i don't think at 2 acres.  Are you ever in socal?

  • San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 78 posts · 97 votes
    9y
    Jake Mchaley congratulation on your first property. You mentioned you used traditional financing, and was curious how you were able to do that on 6 unit multiplex? Cheers, Art
  • CA · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 74 votes
    9y
    congrats! 6 units for 390k that rents up to $800? good deal! This makes the deal I'm looking in Fresno so expensive. lol. could you share some info on the financing? I'm looking for a lender at the moment. thanks!
  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Art mimnaugh it was traditional in terms of bank mortgage but it is a commercial loan. Hay Nguyen I used a bank based out of San Diego called community commerce bank. They were awesome and it worked out great. 

  • Investor · Squaw Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    here is an update on my progress with the property. We are working on the many deferred maintenance Issues as we go. We were able to rent the vacant unit for $800/mo very easily and we got a great tenant so far. 2 other tenants are on their way out (one rent was $580/mo and the other $625/mo) so we will get those 2 turned around and rented for $800 in a couple months. All the rest of the tenants are at $750 and will get small increases when their leases renew! I'm learning a ton and I am very greatfull that I was able to get such a good deal.

  • Real Estate Broker · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 679 posts · 888 votes
    9y
    Great job and great deal. That fish also looks really nice. Where is a good place to learn fishing?
  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    9y

    Hey @Jake Mchaley

    Congrats on closing! Keep us updated on your continued success. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    Why Fresno? Share more on why there and how you found it. Finding the deal is always the hardest
  • CA · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 74 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jake Mchaley:

    Art mimnaugh it was traditional in terms of bank mortgage but it is a commercial loan. Hay Nguyen I used a bank based out of San Diego called community commerce bank. They were awesome and it worked out great. 

    I see.  That's good.  Did you look into any local bank in Fresno?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.