How we went from 0-72 units in 4 years

How we went from 0-72 units in 4 years

Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes

A couple of weeks ago, I shared a success story celebrating the fact that I quit my job and closed on a 202-unit the same day. A big reason I was able to do that was the fact we had built a 72-unit portfolio over the past 4 years. In the week after that post, I received lots of questions and messages asking about how we were able to build our portfolio to that point.

Today, I wanted to share our process in a step-by-step guide for going from 0-72 units and highlight the biggest factors that I believe allowed us to scale a business that now generates nearly $20,000 a month in passive income.

1) Start with a nest egg

I know this seems obvious, but do whatever you have to do in order to find, create or save enough capital to buy that first property. In our case, we generated investment capital by selling my bachelor pad (a condo I owned) after I got married, and my brother’s house (after he relocated). The proceeds from those sales, about $200k, were invested into a duplex, a fourplex and several single family homes in foreclosure all within 3 months of each other. Having that working capital certainly started us out in a good direction rather quickly.

2) Force appreciation

In BP lexicon, this is the BRRRR strategy. I think it's simply the greatest thing about investing in anything 2 or more units, and a main driver why we've started our new company to focus on Value Add investing in larger apartments.

The first duplex we bought was a 2bd/1ba on each side with a garage. When we purchased it, we enclosed each garage to create a 3rd bedroom on each side, and completely renovated the kitchen, flooring and bathroom. We had $225k total invested in the property, and two years later were able to refinance all of our capital out of that property to fuel more acquisitions. We did this on several other properties as well, and once we proved the increased NOI, were able to realize a tremendous amount of equity.

3) Buy in an appreciating area

The fastest way to generate wealth in Real Estate is appreciation, and not all of it has to be forced. Buying in the right market at the right time and letting natural appreciation occur is a beautiful thing. Monthly cash flow is awesome, but it is not the best accelerator to growing your business and portfolio.

We have certainly benefited from the explosive growth and appreciation in Austin and San Antonio, and would be lying if we didn’t credit the market for some of our success. But we also bought strategically in neighborhoods I felt provided excellent appreciation potential in the short term. We stayed away from some opportunities that provided excellent cash flow, but were located in rural areas that I didn’t think would appreciate as quickly. We have a rule that we only buy assets that cash flow from Day 1, but always look in areas that have a strong potential for accelerated appreciation. If you are investing in a slow growth area of the country, it is going to take you a lot longer to grow and build a portfolio.

4) Buy in your personal name

There is always a lot of chatter on BP about whether to invest via an LLC or not. We have purchased everything to date in our personal names so that we can take advantage of 30-year fixed rate loans. You can get up to 10 personal loans via Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, and I suggest you take advantage of all of them. Some mortgage brokers will struggle to help you past 3-4 loans--and you'll pay a marginally higher interest rate--but keep working to find one that can get you all the way to ten. Between my brother and I, that was 20 loans we could get with 30-year loans averaging 4.5%.

This was important for us as we focused on generating cash flow (as you’ll see in the next step). It also allowed us to stretch for a couple properties that wouldn’t cash flow on a 20- or 25-year amortization schedule, but were going to be great appreciating assets.

To combat our legal risk, we put a high cap on the liability insurance of each property, and put an umbrella policy in place. Eventually we've moved the properties into an LLC, but if we had started that route and been limited in our financing options, we never would have gotten where we are so quickly.

5) Reinvest the cash flow

Sometimes this seems so obvious, yet many people don’t do it. They get a few hundred or a few thousand extra dollars coming in every month, and they start to expand their lifestyle or splurge a little too often. All of a sudden, that cash flow they’ve created is now needed to support new spending habits—and its not helping grow their business or portfolio.

We set up new accounts at a separate bank from our personal accounts to keep a clear distinction between the two, and eliminate the temptation of spending money from the rentals.

When we had saved enough cash flow to afford a down payment on the next property, we’d start shopping again. As our portfolio grew, the snowball effect took over and the time between acquisitions got shorter and shorter.

6) Manage the property yourself

From the onset, we managed our properties ourselves. At first, we had no clue what we were doing—but we learned as we went. We went this route for two reasons.

a.To save money. When you’re trying to grow your portfolio, keeping 8% of our revenues in our bank accounts really added up.

b.To learn the business. We entered this business knowing it was just that—a business. By managing our portfolio, we were able to learn the business much faster than if we turned everything over to a manger Day 1.

7) Get comfortable being broke and taking risks

For us, this manifested itself in two ways. First, we really cut back on as many expenses as we could, to send more money over to our real estate business to fuel more growth. So many people preach living below your means—but it works. When we got a bonus at work, we’d deposit it into our real estate account. When there was money left over at the end of the month, we’d transfer that over too.

Second, there were several times when we invested all of our savings to buy the next property. It was not a comfortable feeling to see less than $5,000 total across all your accounts, but a couple months later we had our cash reserves built back up and were collecting more rents with the new addition. Thing snowballed faster and faster, and the accounts grew faster with each acquisition.

8) Eliminate fear

When we bought our first investment property, Gary Keller’s The Millionaire Real Estate Investor was the entirety of our experience, and we really didn’t know what we were doing. We had a great friend and realtor who assured us these first few properties were going to cash flow, and we jumped in.

I remember pulling up to the first property after we closed on it, and having butterflies in my stomach as I walked up to introduce myself to the new tenants. Every step of this journey has stretched us, challenged us and taught us new things. Today, I stand here less than three weeks after quitting my job to focus on real estate full-time—and its not the most comfortable feeling. But, I’m not scared of it and have learned to eliminate the fear.

There you have it. These 8 steps have been the most critical in growing our portfolio from 0-72 unit in four years. A year from now, when we cross the 1,000 unit threshold in apartments, I look forward to sharing those steps. 

34Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 397 posts · 469 votes
9y

Thank you for sharing, @Andrew Campbell! I just posted last night about closing on my first deal (a 4-family in St. Louis). Your 1st and 4th points were critical for me in getting this first property, and I'll be putting your 5th point to use by investing the $500+ in monthly cash flow (after all expenses) into my next purchase. I still have a good amount of cash saved, so I'm hoping that purchase is only a few months away.

Looking forward to more updates on your progress. Great post!!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Hamid Hotaki On the refinance front, we were in the same boat as you.  I didn't want to give up our traditional 30-year financing, so we kept talking to banks until we found a community bank that would refinance each one individually, and allowed us to pull the equity from the properties we wanted to.  It didn't extend our number of loans, but we were able to put new 30-year fixed rate debt on each property, and gain access to the equity individually. 

    When we reached our cap of 10 loans, and knew we were staring down commercial loans--we decided to take the plunge and go big.  We just completed our first syndication deal earlier this year, and are hopeful to have our second under contract later this month.  I detailed the reasons why in a blog post you can read here.  At the end of the day, commercial bank terms didn't work for me on a smaller 4-10 unit property, so we opted to go big where you capture the efficiencies of operating a big complex and partner with investors to take them down.

    Good luck!  Let me know if I can help in any way.  

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell what's up my property just got the market I am looking for my very first of apartments soon!  I am looking to double that half a million asap I was talking about so I can build my dream rv park.

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell Spot on post. Very inspirational and precisely what I am following. Thank you for sharing. We're closing on our 4th buy and hold property this month and looking to scale up just as you have done. I am also an investor friendly licensed architect in San Antonio, should you ever begin to venture into new construction or major remodels! Cheers,

  • Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @ Andrew C. 

    Thanks for the reply! I totally agree with your approach,  and if I get an opportunity to purchase a 4 unit plus, I will do so,  but not many around here though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.